View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 pm 
I currently have Hauppauge 350's (3 of them) and want to consolidate a few systems into one monster system with 16 GB of RAM (and do some VM's). In order to do that I have to go to a 64 bit OS and Hauppauge won't work for some technical reasons on a 64-bit OS. So my question stems from that requirement. Looking at Hauppauge they have two lines of HVR's. External ones and Internal ones. The external ones are USB connected the internal ones that are 64 bit are PCI-E only. Now none of these will break the bank if I go buy one and try-it-out. I do however think it is only fitting to ask the question first. After a few searches...I'm not sure anyone has done this yet hence why I'm posting. I apologize if I'm mistaken and I really would like to know if there are any success stories out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:21 am 
I guess I don't understand for the requirement of monster amounts of memory just to handle TV recording. I have a KnoppMyth system with "only" 2G of RAM, but I regularly record up to four HD streams simultaneously while watching one. It never even breathes hard.

Now monster DISKS I can understand... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 pm 
despite the fact that this isnt relevant to my question - I mentioned that I am consolidating a few systems (as in computer systems) into one monster system (hence the need for VM's - virtual machines). VM's like lots of resources including disk space, memory and CPU cores. Now that I look at my original post I see that I didnt actually ask a question. So here it is:

Has anyone successfully configured any of Hauppauge's HVR's (internal or external) in a 64 bit OS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:36 am 
mythbuntu has an x86_64 version. I presume they have drivers, even for the older cards. I know very little about the 64-bit version other than it's existence. I tried installing it once, but I had some sort of conflict getting the video working with my TV; so I never got to the point of seeing if my PVR-150s actually worked, although I saw no errors during boot-up.

Your other option, assuming you can give up analog, is HDHomeRun. Since it's not really a DEVICE, the driver issue in the Host OS should go away.

I've thought of doing similar, but do some searches. I know there's a contingent of members who use VM's for testing. Most indicate that the VM for myth gets starved and isn't really suitable for capture or playback. I've been figuring that their problems would get solved by Moore's Law eventually, maybe you're there?

Do you have the actual iron for the host picked out? I've been lusting over the Apple Mac Pro with its dual quad-core Xeons, but I can't justify the expense. 8-core taste; dual-core budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:00 am 
Well...Ubuntu isn't really an option because I already tried doing a VM using Ubuntu as the host OS and it didnt recognize the Hauppauge 350's (same for Windows Server - 2k3 and 2k7 - 64 bit).

I'm not sure what HDHomeRun is (I'll search around for it), but I would still like to know if anyone has gotten the Hauppauge HVR's to work in a 64 bit OS.

As for the 'iron under the hood' I'm not doing anything too special. 4x4GB memory modules, dual Core 2 Duo chips and 6 500 GB SATA drives using RAID 5 (comes out to about 2.2 TB once you partition and format). I'm only consolidating 3 systems but these are plenty of resources for all 3 systems and the beauty of VM is if I need to I can modify where ever I need to.