View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: DVI/HDMI and MythWelcome
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:05 pm 
I'm running an NVidia 6200TC video card currently using VGA to my Samsung LCD TV. I've also used a DVI to HDMI cable successfully.

The problem with the DVI->HDMI cable is that the TV must be on during PC boot-up for the connection to activate (or I need to restart X). The VGA connection just always works (if DVI isn't active).

Since I'm using MythWelcome, the PC may be on or off when I want to use it. If it's already on, the DVI connection won't work (unless I restart X).

I'd like to use the DVI->HDMI cable and leave the VGA for other use. Is there a way to force the DVI connection to be enabled even if the TV is off?

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:30 pm 
From the nvidia documentation:

Quote:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "string"

Allows you to override what the NVIDIA kernel module detects is connected to your video card. This may be useful, for example, if you use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch and you are switched away when X is started. In such a situation, the NVIDIA kernel module cannot detect what display devices are connected, and the NVIDIA X driver assumes you have a single CRT.

Valid values for this option are "CRT" (cathode ray tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), or "TV" (television); if using TwinView, this option may be a comma-separated list of display devices; e.g.: "CRT, CRT" or "CRT, DFP".

NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat panels connected via a DVI port.

Default: string is NULL (the NVIDIA driver will detect the connected display devices).

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:51 am 
I had a similar problem, but worked out its only a problem if my samsung TV is switched off at the wall. If it is left on standby my media center detects it fine. The TV uses <1w on standby so i just leave it on standby all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:46 am 
Thanks!
Code:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

Did the trick for me.

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 pm 
Well I think I spoke too soon.
It works properly on reboot, but on power-off/power-on as happens with MythWelcome, the DVI/HDMI connection is active, but with a screen resolution of 640x480.

My Samsung is a 1080p set and I normally have the video output at 1920x1080@60Hz. This is how it's recognized via VGA or DVI/HDMI if the TV is on during boot (or when restarting X).

What part of the xorg.conf affects this behavior?

2GB RAM