View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:15 pm 
davilla, was the atom processor used to deinterlace the 1080i video? Thanks!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:13 pm 
yes. I'll be doing some more tests over the next few days with a knoppmyth install to HD. This will let me see how well it works under a mythtv frontend.

I also just picked up a nvidia 6200 pci card with DVI out to see how that plays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm 
mythbuntu 7.10 running 0.21 fixes (about 6 month ago).

recorded 1080i mpeg2 w/ deinterlacing -> no problem (about 110 percent cpu usage)

Intel dual core atom 330, using internal 3.5 HD, consuming 42-43 watts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:21 pm 
davilla, thanks for all the work you are doing on this -- it is very useful information. One question: Are you using the integrated graphics and what resolution are you driving the output display at? Also, am I remembering correctly that you are idling at ~33 watts?

Thanks!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 pm 
For testing, it's a 1024 x 768 LCD. It's a worst case than driving a real TV as display scaling and frame rate artifacts will show up if they are not handled correctly. Based on previous tests between this LCD, a CRT backprojection widescreen 480i TV and 1080p LCD HDTV, if it looks good on this LCD, it will look good on the other displays.

These tests are using the integrated graphics (vga). I have a new nvidia 6200 pci card that should work fine but for some reason my current install of mythbuntu 7.10 hangs at mythbuntu boot logo. Video voodoo I suspect that would be fixed with a new install of a current distro. My mythbuntu 7.10 distro is pretty old now but unless I see a good reason, I'm not touching the myth backend ;)

33 Watts was with USB flash boot, System (now with 3.5 HD) is running 39 Watts at main mythfrontend screen. You might get a little better power savings with a more recent distro that uses more recent cpu power cycling. The HD is also an older PATA Hitachi Deskstar 40GB so I would suspect that a newer SATA HD might consume less power. Or you could go diskless, there's a netboot in bios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm 
and another update to the atom 330 info:

I picked up a nvidia 8400 PCI card with vga/dvi out. Installed the new nvidia 180.08 driver and mlayer patched for vdpau support h.264 hardware decode).

1.6GHz MacMini Core Duo (not Core2 duo) vs 1.6GHz dual-core atom330 (via mplayer w/vdpau)

same video content (two samples)

Code:
  MacMini                  Atom 330
 45 percent     vs        < 10 percent
120 percent     vs        < 10 percent

vdpau == pretty cool stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm 
Very nice, davilla.

I hope someone releases an Atom motherboard with integrated nVidia 9xxx graphics soon. That would be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 am 
davilla, Fry's is selling the MSI wind intel-atom based barebone for $119 after $20 rebate. Based on your experiences, do you think this machine will be able to handle mpeg2 720p and 1080i playback? Here's a linkto the same device at newegg. Thanks!

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm 
The link says "Intel 1.6GHz Atom processor on board" but does not say if it's dual or single core. There is a comment in customer reviews

Quote:
Pros: small, energy efficient, low profile, runs Linux well, two SATA connectors and two drive bays (you can install 2 1.5 TB hard drives in this baby!)

Cons: Not really Cons, more like wish list:
1. only one RAM slot (better to have two so that we can reuse the upgraded 1GB dimms)
2. only one network interface. It would be perfect if it has two GB NICs built-in.
3. no PCI/PCIE expension slot (optional, nice to have).
4. built-in wireless (optional, nice to have)

Other Thoughts: This is almost a perfect appliant PC. With Linux installed, it can serve as a web browsing PC and double up as a file server (network disk drive) for other machines since it uses so little energy. If it has two network interfaces, it can be configured as a firewall (for network security) as well.

Let's hope the next revision of this baby comes with a dual-core processor and items in the wish-list. Please don't make the box bigger, it's perfect with this kind of small size.

so looks like single core with no PCI slots. I would pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 pm 
I looked at it yesterday at the local Fry's. It has no slot, and comes with built-in Intel graphics. I doubt seriously that it would hold up to 1080i. I too wish we could get a small-footprint solution for playing HD video on Myth -- either hardware or software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm 
I didn't purchase it, but I did try another experiment. My friend has an Acer netbook laptop which I believe is based on the same atom processor and motherboard. It was able to play both 720p and 1080i content without a problem. The benefit of hyper threading was especially visible on playback of the 1080i content. This was using Windows XP.

It was tempting, as it would have made a reasonable front-end in a low-power small-form factor for a only $120. (I already have an extra 512MB laptop memory card and SATA drive). I decided to pass on it because there will probably be much beter barebone options coming out over the next 6-12 months, and I don't really need it yet...

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:13 pm 
Info on the Atom with h264 encoded video content is here. This is geared toward those looking to use the HD-PVR as a source, but it gives you an idea of what the processor is capable of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
I hate to say but statements like this "It was able to play both 720p and 1080i content without a problem" means nothing. Was this mpeg2 or mpeg4, if mpeg4, what profiles, what encoding rates? mpeg2 is pretty easy to qualify but mpeg4 comes in many flavors that greatly determine cpu requirements. Need to state the profile/encoding rate with mpeg4 or it's meaningless. MediaInfo is a good app that will show all the details.

The atom listed here (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD ... ck_Reports) only has the size (720p) and bit-rate. The encoding profile info is missing. In fact the chart really need the profile info added. bit-rate and size is not enough info to determine playability of mpeg4 content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 am 
Both files were mpeg2. VLC shows the 1080i recording running at a total bitrate of ~19mbps; it shows he 720p reocrding running at a total bitrate of ~10mbps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:29 am 
ahhh, that explains it. mpeg2 is much, much easer to decode than mpeg4. Thanks for the additional info.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next