View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Audio Lead Options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:59 pm 
My current HTPC is based on an Intel D865GLC Mainboard that has the AC '97 audio codec. As I had problems getting 5.1 analog audio to work I have installed a Sound Blaster Audigy (Series 1) and currently have analogy 5.1 out of this.

I have just purchased a new amplifier that is able to take in a Digital Audio signal via Optical or Coaxial connections.

Can anyone offer advice on what sort of lead I need to connect my HTPC to this new amp. I would prefer to use the Mainboard connection if I can, but will sucumb to using the Audigy if necessary. I have checked the Mainboard and there is no SPDIF connector, only the three (3) 3.5mm stereo jacks.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Audio Lead Options
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 am 
Hi Girkers,

Your mainboard doesn't have optical output. Am I looking at the wrong specs? http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865GLC/sb/cs-008974.htm

If you want Optical, you'll disable the built-in audio entirely and go get an optical cable that matches your audigy 1 and the amp, which is almost certainly going to be one of those small plastic jobs (toslink/toslink cable).

Afterwards, set up the box for digital audio out. I think Human's perl script would be good there (it tweaks mplayer, xine and Internal all at once).

Cheers

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 pm 
Your right Mike, that is the right mainboard and I didn't think it had an Optical out, just needed another set of eyes to confirm what I thought.

Unfortunately the Audigy does not have an Optical connector, the digital connector is a 3.5mm stereo jack so that is obviously the type of lead that I am after. I just don't know what it would be called. TOSLink is what I need at the amplifier end, just not sure what the other end is called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 pm 
Girkers wrote:
Unfortunately the Audigy does not have an Optical connector, the digital connector is a 3.5mm stereo jack so that is obviously the type of lead that I am after. I just don't know what it would be called. TOSLink is what I need at the amplifier end, just not sure what the other end is called.
Without an optical out on either of your audio cards I'm afraid you're in trouble - TOSlink is optical, there are no single-cable solutions to convert from 3.5mm or SPDIF to TOSlink (that I am aware of anyway).

There are some SPDIF to TOSlink converters out there (such as http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Product. ... uct_ID=587), but I am not aware of any that convert a 3.5mm input. I believe the connector you are referring to was meant for use with a set of computer speakers, not an A/V receiver.

[EDIT] SPDIF above refers to a COAX connection [/EDIT]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:32 am 
I would get yourself a cheap sound card with an optical (toslink) out. The card I used was about 10-15GBP.
The only problem you would have is the potential loss of a pci slot to it. Or, perhaps you can buy a pci-e (x1) slot type sound card though they are not cheap (as far as I can tell) nor do I have any idea on how well they are supported by Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:35 am 
My Audigy is already using a PC slot so that is not an issue. I must credit tophee though for making me go and have a look at my online retailer as I found this: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780 which will solve my problems perfectly.

Thanks for everyones' assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:16 am 
Another option would be to get a SIIG USB Soundwave 7.1 Pro external sound card:

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=81020

It has optical SPDIF output. It works out of box in Knoppmyth R5.5.

Better pictures can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829270004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm 
As I know my Augidy works well, as no doubt the SIIG does, for AU$29 I couldn't go past the Sound Blaster attachment.