View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: ASUS M2NPV-VM Successor?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am 
I used this motherboard for my master backend and have been very happy with it. I've been thinking of upgrading (well, rebuilding) my slave backend for HDTV, but the ASUS M2NPV-VM has been discontinued. Are there other microATX motherboards people like as much as this one? I'm agnostic regarding Intel/AMD.

Thanks!

Last edited by hari on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 pm 
I just upgraded my master backend with an asus m2n68-vm (xmas present) which is very similar to your old mb. Better yet though, I'd consider the newer and slightly more expensive asus m3n78-vm which has an onboard GPU that is included in the list of gpus that nvidia's VDPAU will support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 pm 
Thanks for the advice. I found a comment on newegg.com regarding the M2N78-VM:
Quote:
Most don't work at least not with KnoppMyth. From the specs it "should have worked" but various devices didn't work with KnoppMyth (latest 5.5) and I was completely unsuccessful in installing it on this motherboard. The SATA drives do not get recognized and even tried installing a FrontEnd only to a USB drive and even that failed with kernel errors and eventually a panic.

I'd rather be safe and go for the M2N68-VM. I'd love another board as hassle-free as the M2NPV-VM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:09 pm 
I had some issues with upgrading r5.5 with two SATA hard drives and I think that it was because of a discrepancy in device numbering between the install and the second boot. I ended up upgrading with my /myth2 drive disconnected and then fiddled with the ordering of the mobo sata connections until it booted when I connected the second drive.

If I was a bit more industrious, I should label the drives and mount them by label. In fact, I think I should do that because Ill be away for a few weeks soon, and the last think I want is for my box not to come up properly after a power outage.

This thread talks about the reason for labelling if anyone is interested:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... label+sata