View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Remotes and receivers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:51 am 
I've recently upgraded to R5.5 and have been trying to get lirc to recognise the HP remote that I used prior to upgrading. I know my IR receiver is working fine, in fact I've tried two different receivers; the Philips USB receiver and the far smaller receiver that was provided with my Compro T300 card, so I think that means hardware.conf is correct (both versions).

When I run irw (using either receiver) then it picks up the key presses of the Compro remote, but not the HP remote. Many would say "just use the Compro remote" but I'd rather not for a number of reasons - it looks cheap and nasty whereas the HP one looks pretty good, the Compro remote is small and easily lost by the kids (our 18 month old thinks anything that's silver with buttons is a phone and wanders round the house chatting to it) but mainly because my wife is used to the HP remote and it would be a major problem getting her to learn a new remote and keeping the WAF high is the top priority.

If I run irrecord and try the HP remote I get the "gap not found, can't continue" error message. I'm guessing, but might this be some sort of issue with the timing of pulses? Perhaps the settings at the start of lircd.conf are relevant, particularly the "gap" setting (I've fiddled with it but no joy)? That's where things seem to point to me, but this is the standard lircd.conf that I've used before and seems fairly standard across many remotes.

Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 pm 
Site Admin
Hmmmm... Your lircd.conf was backend up and should have been restored. At any rate, you can check the /etc tarball in /myth/backup and ensure it is the same one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:31 am 
Not sure what happened, but it's working now. The relevant files were the originals which had been restored, so where the error crept in I don't know. I was sure that when you changed config that a restart of lirc was all that was needed (it certainly seemed that way for the receiver) but for the remote to be recognised required a reboot. A bit strange, but most importantly, my wife can now use the system without calling me when she wants to change channel. :roll: