View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 am 
I'm looking a a new board for my Gentoo Linux file server and I'm hoping you will permit me to venture off topic a little bit here on the Knoppmyth forums as my requirements for my server motherboard are quite similar to that of a Myth box and I'd like to get "real world" suggestions of boards that are working well in a 24/7 operational environment under Linux.

It appears that the tried and true ASUS M2NPV-VM and ABIT NF-M2 nView are no longer available so I'm wondering what the new "favorites" are?

I have an AMD 3800+ X2 processor and 1 GB (2x512) of DDR memory already so I'd like to stick with an AMD board to keep the cost down.

Obviously stability is of highest concern! I like to get something with onboard graphics to avoid the cost of a PCI-e grphics card (my server is console only so graphics "horsepower" is of no concern). On board PCI-E based Gigabit Ethernet is a must! My ancient dual P3 based server just can't handle both an ATA-100 controller and a Gigabit Ethernet card on the 32-bit 33Mhz PCI bus (which is the main reason why I'm looking to upgrade). (I foresee a couple of SATA drives in my future as well to help with this...)

Unlike my Myth system DVI, HDMI, and audio output is of no concern, 15-pin RBG will get it done. just to throw a wrench into things I still need a parallel port as my tried and true HP Laserjet 1100 has never heard of USB but still works like a champ!

Any recommendations are very much appreciated. I'm seeing a handful of boards on newegg that fit the bill but I'm hesitate to pull the trigger without some "real world" positive feedback.

I hope I'm not out of line by asking about this here on the Knoppmyth forums. Please forgive me (or slap me around a little) if I am.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 pm 
I recently bought this reasonably priced Foxconn motherboard on Newegg as a replacement for an Abit that I have had to RMA for a 2nd time now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813186151

I am not sure which bus the gigabit ethernet is on... I've never really thought about that before, but the only thing on the ata controller for me is the dvd-rw. The hard drive is SATA.

It only has one ATA port and it's a micro-atx motherboard, so not many pcie or pci slots, but it does offer vga or dvi output.

I have only been running it for a month or so with Debian Etch 64-bit, but have had no trouble with it.
Disclaimer: I have not used the onboard video, audio, or parallel, but I am using onboard networking with no problems currently.

If you want any other hardware specs, I will happily provide them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:25 pm 
Thanks knappster,

That board looks like it should work. I never even thought to check AMD / ATI chipsets (doh!). Thanks for the recommendation.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm 
Yeah, amazingly it replaced an nforce board without a hiccup. I'm a little disappointed to have to put a micro-atx board into a desktop computer, but I really only need one pci-express slot for the video card and a pci slot for my now nearly 10 year old SB Live! 5.1 card (which I only use for headphones, but I like to have the hardware decoding for multiple audio streams).

There's also only 2 ram slots, whereas the asus m2npv-vm had 4.