View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:36 pm 
To date, I've been ignoring HDTV, but time marches on. I'm looking to add a wall-mounted 19" HDTV (LCD is probably the way to go) and would appreciate some suggestions from the community as to what features to look for in the thing (both general feature as well as KM or LinHES-specific features). What are desirable specs? What are specs I should avoid? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:56 pm 
Max resolution >= 1920x1080 (progressive)
Response time <= 5ms

Probably more, but that's what comes to my mind first. Naturally, these specs are in an ideal world...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm 
At 19" you're not going to be getting 1080p nor do you need it with that small a screen. Probably same for other common buzzwords nowadays like 120Hz refresh.

I'd make sure anything you get has a "PC input": probably VGA, possibly DVI.

Beyond that you want fast response time like mihanson says (lower numbers are better), and as good a contrast ratio as you can get (higher numbers are better).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:39 pm 
I concur with everything above.
One observation on the size. 19" seems awful small.
I have a 20" SDTV set in my bedroom now. I just purchased a Viewsonic, 22" LCD/HDTV excellent specs, ATSC tuner and 1680x1050 resolution
I placed it next to my 20" SDTV for comparison and felt that I really wanted a 26" HDTV in that location.

My bedroom is small at only 12' for viewing distance.

Anyway just an observation, btw, I picked this 22" item up at Staples for $139 and it was brand new in the box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 pm 
Thanks for the replies, guys. This one is going on the bathroom wall just above the tub. I think 19" is plenty big :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm 
If it is going in the bathroom, I'm curious about what you need to do about the humidity. I'm pretty sure your average Best Buy/Fry's stock isn't suitable. You need suitable moisture resistance, or at least a potent exhaust fan for the bathroom to prevent the steam build up. You'll need to look for a special bathroom TV, or build a special, sealed enclosure.

Now sorry if I'm prying here; but why do you finally stop ignoring HD in the Bathroom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:01 pm 
jmckeown2 wrote:
If it is going in the bathroom, I'm curious about what you need to do about the humidity. I'm pretty sure your average Best Buy/Fry's stock isn't suitable. You need suitable moisture resistance, or at least a potent exhaust fan for the bathroom to prevent the steam build up. You'll need to look for a special bathroom TV, or build a special, sealed enclosure.

Now sorry if I'm prying here; but why do you finally stop ignoring HD in the Bathroom?

Yeah, the humidity issues have concerned me as well. I have to look into them before making a purchase. To answer your question: I'm starting to look into HD in there simply because I'll need to purchase a smaller set and I want to be forward looking technology-wise. Also, the LCD screens are very thin and light weight.