View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 pm 
Anybody know if knoppmyth 5.5 livecd auto recognizes / installs Geforce 8400 GS (PCI)?

I only want to buy this card if it will work "out of the box" like my MX4000 did.

(I am unable to update drivers successfully. My lack of expertise combined with fact that when I update drivers as per the "UpdateNVIDIADrivers" wiki, always makes my screen go black after flashing the x-windows screen for half a second. I always have to go back and resinstall from scratch to get out of it. Who can afford to spend two weeks in disussion forums trying to figure out how to make it all work? :( )

Last edited by worldpoop on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 pm 
Check tjc's excelent Hint & Tips guide to most likely find the fix for the black screen. Many times is something simple like the vertical refresh rate being too high. I usually set it for 60 so my old monitors are happy.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:23 pm 
mjl wrote:
Check tjc's excelent Hint & Tips guide to most likely find the fix for the black screen. Many times is something simple like the vertical refresh rate being too high. I usually set it for 60 so my old monitors are happy.

Mike

Excellent tip, I'll look for that, thank you! I assume then this means that updating drivers resets things like refresh rate in some conf type file?

Happen to know if the 8400 GS is an "out of the box" card for Knoppmyth live CD? I want to buy one if it will autoinstall they way the mx4000 does (and FX5200, 6200 etc are said to).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 pm 
Hi
Can't speak for the 8400 but Cecil & his team did some serious work for the hardware detection - setup process so I would not be supprised if it did. The usual two faults you will see is the black screen and the flashing screen with a "C7" error.

The C7 error is usually a simple edit to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change to the proper driver (some older cards did that to me) and the black screen was the same file to set the refresh as mentioned previously.

If you get stuck, there will most likely be someone on the forum to work through it with you. Maybe someone can chime in about the 8400 specificly?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm 
worldpoop wrote:
Happen to know if the 8400 GS is an "out of the box" card for Knoppmyth live CD? I want to buy one if it will autoinstall they way the mx4000 does (and FX5200, 6200 etc are said to).

I have the same 8400GS that cesman used in the Atomic Ant in my frontend system and yes, it is an "out of the box" card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 pm 
graysky wrote:
I have the same 8400GS that cesman used in the Atomic Ant in my frontend system and yes, it is an "out of the box" card.

Score! Thanks, graysky. Good endorsements, and good help. Good starting place for me: Card will work out of the gate with the liveC, and I can get XvMC to work, I've accomplished that b4. Eventually VDPAU will be a bonus, but I don't think I'll brave that soon. I'll update here with any stories. Thanks for the education, all...

Last edited by worldpoop on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:07 pm 
FWIW, I can see support for the 8400GS as early as 100.14.06 dated May 18, 2007

Go to page Previous  1, 2