View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:29 pm 
graysky wrote:
You can see what version of the nvidia driver you're using by running the following from a shell:
Code:
$ nvidia-settings

Thank you!!! Welp, I've got 180.29 just like the pretty pic. So it's not the wrong driver. Shoot, I'm flummoxed.

UPDATE:

HEY! When I play the recorded ATSC video file with
$ mplayer -fs -zoom -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau 10021_30090301133244.mpg, it plays GREAT, just like you describe at the top of this thread!! (Except there are weird interlacing artifacts on my computer screen.)

Therefore, mythtv is NOT using VDPAU to display live-tv or to play back recorders. So... how can I force it to do that? Whatever it is doing now is not vdpau -- it maxes CPU and halting video is worse than 1 frame a second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:50 pm 
You probably have to setup a playback profile to use vdpau.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
VDPau question SOLVED -- scroll down for solution...

graysky wrote:
You probably have to setup a playback profile to use vdpau.

You see, you see, it's beginning to come together for me how this all works. Even I can get it. You, my friend, are my hero. Live TV OTA (LA CH 9.1) 1080 CPU 22% with 1x temporal di. This. Is. Fantastic. And long in coming. Phew! I've been screwing with this machine off and on since December.

OSD still hangs it up for a few seconds. But hey, who wants a perfect world. Graysky, this is great. Thank you. Next and final challenge.... get TV-out to happen on this card. (If anybody is reading this and has any insights -- by all means! Problem is, with TV-out connected and configured in the menus, still, only VGA will work.)

Later today I will post a quickie summary for posterity of my path to success for VDPAU r6 TV. I'm happy.

UPDATE -- A Linux noobie's guide to getting hardware acceleration for HDTV to work with Geforce VDPAU capable card and slow computer running LinHES r6 preview, so he could pretend to be just like Graysky:

I needed my hand held through the following steps. But now I see it was reasonably straightforward.

HISTORY: I came from a Dell 2.4GHz running Knoppmyth r5.5 with Geforce MX4000 (PCI) with Xvmc hardware acceleration enabled, and "CPU--" playback profile selected. Single stream of HDTV (mostly) played, though brought CPU near max. OSD was a nightmare. Any recorded video transcoded down to save disk space only played when resized to 400x300 or smaller (because Xvmc does not work for mpg4, only mpg2 which is what HDTV / ATSC is). So with recommendations I purchased a Geforce 8400GS (PCI... hey, it's all I got :) ). R6 Preview does not yet autoconfigure VDPau hardware acceleration, I can safely assume because r6 is preview and, more importantly, so is NVidia's VDPau. VDPau is very new. Anyway. Here's what to do (or at least what worked for me):

Command Line stuff...

- Replace NVidia drivers with new VDPau-capable beta drivers.

Code:
pacman -Sy
pacman -Rd mythtv mplayer
pacman -S mythtv-vdpau mplayer-vdpau-nogui

NOTE: It seems there could be a dependency problem. If you get errors with the above -- or otherwise mythtv display is broken after reboot -- then do "pacman -Rd nvidia" first to clean up old drivers, then try the above code again.

- Likewise, replace mplayer with vdpau mplayer...

Code:
pacman -Sy
pacman -Rd mythtv mplayer
pacman -S mythtv-vdpau mplayer-vdpau-nogui

Reboot. (Or at least restart Xwindows and mythfrontend, I dunno. Safe to reboot I guess.)

- Make myth TV use VDpau...

Service Menu | Myth Config | Setup | TV Settings | Playback, then "Next" your way through to Playback Profiles ...

Add a new playback profile (I called my "VDPau" and added only one global rule so far). Edit it to add NVidia VDPau acceleration to Decoder, also to Renderers. Next page, choose a deinterlace method if you need it. If you don't know, 1x temporal is safe bet.

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:01 pm 
Glad you got it working, dude. Check out this wikipage and more importantly, the script there. Makes selecting which vdpau codec to use automatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:43 am 
Here is an update. I purchased the PCI-E version of this Sparkle card from Newegg but be warned that although the website shows that it has the same heatsink (fanless) as the PCI version I pictured above, this one came with a HF/S combo - and I cheap one at that.

Here are the temp figures:
Idle 55 C/load 70 C (vdpau/15Mbit mpeg-2, 1080p)
idle 55C/load 64 C (vdpau/3 Mb h264 720p)

Something else to know about the PCI-E 16x version of the card is that it has a lower memory core rate than the PCI version I originally posted on in #1 of this thread.

Code:
$ nvclock -i
-- General info --
Card:       nVidia Geforce 8400GS
Architecture:    G98 A2
PCI id:    0x6e4
GPU clock:    612.000 MHz
Bustype:    PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1512.000 MHz
Stream units: 16 (1b)
ROP units: 4 (1b)
-- Memory info --
Amount:    512 MB
Type:       128 bit DDR2
Clock:       300.856 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate:    16X
Maximum rate:    16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: 55C

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.98.29.00.00
Signon message: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS PCI-Express
Performance level 0: gpu 567MHz/shader 1400MHz/memory 300MHz/100%

I'm returning it today for a refund and will try the MSI PCI-E 2.0 card and report back to you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:57 am 
Graysky, that's the exact heat sink fan combo that overheated on me. I remember talking about it in another post:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

If anyone is going to use the 8400GS, don't use one with this style HS combo. It's just not up to task.

Hauppauge PVR150
Iguana Works serial IR transceiver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm 
Hopefully the one on the MSI will be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:35 pm 
Thanks for being the 'bleeding edge' guys ! :D

I'm sure a lot of us are 'watching with interest' which way to jump with these cards ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:28 pm 
ghede wrote:
Graysky, that's the exact heat sink fan combo that overheated on me. I remember talking about it in another post:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

If anyone is going to use the 8400GS, don't use one with this style HS combo. It's just not up to task.

@ghede - I'd be interested to see a photo of your card w/ HS and fan you installed. Also, there are a number of windows programs that should read the thermal sensor in your GPU. Try HWMonitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:30 pm 
The 8400GS is the top card / heat sink. Raid card is bottom. In order to get a little stress testing done without installing any new programs, which I won't do, being my server, I ran 6 instances of VLC each playing a different movie and each one I re-sized to a different size.

While certainly not anywhere near a perfect graphics test, I figure if it can put 6 movies of different sizes on the screen and fill it, then that should work. I let it play for 30 minutes, and you can see the 'min' - 'max' listed. I got the same results while playing one movie full screen for 10 minutes.

The fan to watch is AUX4, this is the one you see in the pic.

Edit: I found an open source hi-def movie here. I'm getting the "AVI, MPEG4 / AC3 5.1 Surround" version now and will test it with that. Seems like a much more appropriate test. I'll report back after I play it. http://orange.blender.org/download

Edit: Took a while to download. Set the screen resolution to 2048x1536 32 bit color. Played both original size and full screen. It's only 10 min long so I looped it. Temps fluctuated between 51 and 52 Celsius. Basically, the temperature went up 1 deg playing the HD content. Not bad. I'm pretty happy with the heat sink :D First time I ever really tested it and it's a lot smaller than what your picture shows for the card you found.

Hauppauge PVR150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm 
graysky wrote:
Hopefully the one on the MSI will be better.

This card runs amazingly cool. So much so that I'm somewhat sceptically that the temp diode on the thing is right. Room temp is about 69 F and this card is idling at 36C. I played a 18,600 Kbps 720p mpeg file using VDPAU and the temp only hit 41C. I verified the temp booting it windows and leaving quake 4 running with the settings jacked up. It got a whole 5 fps, but that wasn't the point. The temp only hit 46 C there. I also downloaded and ran fur doughnut test and again, the temp only hit 46 C after about 20 min in torture test mode.

@ghede - I'm curious to see what your temps are running that benchmark full screen with 8x AA.

Code:
$ nvclock -i
-- General info --
Card:       nVidia Geforce 8400GS
Architecture:    G98 A2
PCI id:    0x6e4
GPU clock:    612.000 MHz
Bustype:    PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1512.000 MHz
Stream units: 16 (1b)
ROP units: 4 (1b)
-- Memory info --
Amount:    512 MB
Type:       128 bit DDR2
Clock:       399.600 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate:    16X
Maximum rate:    16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
GPU temperature: 36C

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.98.12.00.40
Signon message: G98 P561 SKU 0002 VGA BIOS
Performance level 0: gpu 567MHz/shader 1400MHz/memory 400MHz/100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 pm 
@graysky - Ran the fur doughnut test: Took a screen cap, if you click the thumbnail, it should take you to the image. Click the image and you can see it full size. It graphs the temp over the 20 or so minutes I ran it. Not too bad I don't think, considering the size of my heat sink. However, I must state that the fan speed increased 300 rpm due to the increased load on the motherboard chipset - from 1000 to 1300 rpm, sooo, this will obviously have an effect (fan speed tied to chipset on MB)

That sink you have on your card is huge. I will say off hand that you can probably believe the readings. My chip / heatsink combo idles at 51C and previous testing above with the video barely bumped the heat up, and did not affect the motherboard chipset temp, so no fan speed increase with that test.

How high (roughly) is the sink above the board? Trying to compare the height diff with my sink @28mm high.

Hauppauge PVR150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:46 pm 
ghede wrote:
That sink you have on your card is huge. I will say off hand that you can probably believe the readings. My chip / heatsink combo idles at 51C and previous testing above with the video barely bumped the heat up, and did not affect the motherboard chipset temp, so no fan speed increase with that test.

How high (roughly) is the sink above the board? Trying to compare the height diff with my sink @28mm high.

It looks bigger than it really is I think. It's only about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" off the board, but it does run the length of the board. I was totally ready to ziptie a small fan to it too. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase. $25 after mail-in-rebate :)

Here is a link to a 8 sec video of the thing in the case... why the hell did I shoot this video? It was so dark under the desk that I had to use an LED flashlight to illuminate the thing... it's pretty pointless really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:58 pm 
Sorry if I missed this: which MSI card is this, and is the $24 after rebate available anywhere or only at someplace like NewEgg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 pm 
graysky wrote:
8400GS 512 meg PCI card rocks with VDPAU

I agree!
I picked up one of these cards, but didn't want to wreck my production box, so gave it a wirl in an OLD test box. I setup mplayer-vdpau on R5.5 as per the wiki and was able to play all the sample files listed in the readme on a PIII 900 with 192MB ram.
I was only running on a small monitor at 1024X768, but top showed mplayer at about 12% cpu and it never skipped. Without vdpau it only showed 1 frame every few secconds with 100% cpu.
I'm impressed. So far looks like a good investment.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next