View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Author Message
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:48 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1637
Location: Virginia, USA
Can I ask again which MSI card this is?

The only one that I can find on NewEgg with that style of heat sink is a 256MB card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-14127367


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: /dev/null
ceenvee703 wrote:
Sorry if I missed this: which MSI card is this, and is the $24 after rebate available anywhere or only at someplace like NewEgg?


Sorry I missed your original post.

ceenvee703 wrote:
Can I ask again which MSI card this is?


Wow, newegg no longer carries it for some reason. That sucks.

_________________
Retired KM user (R4 - R6.04); friend to LH users.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 am 
Offline
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:53 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Monterey, CA USA
They do still have some of the 256 meg cards though...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127367

_________________
R5F27 combined backend/frontend
Nvidia 6200 graphics card
Intel P4 1.8, 768Meg PC133, Seagate 300GB & 500GB (PATA) in LVM
Hauppauge PVR150
Iguana Works serial IR transceiver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:24 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1637
Location: Virginia, USA
Is a 256MB card sufficient? Or does it depend on the resolution you need to run it at?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:33 am 
Offline
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: /dev/null
I'd try to find a 512 meg card if I were you... it doesn't have to be an MSI.

_________________
Retired KM user (R4 - R6.04); friend to LH users.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:45 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:51 am
Posts: 173
Location: Uniontown, PA
Graysky:

Can you clarify this post's topic?

Is this a PCI card or a PCI-e card?

I only have AGP and PCI in my old 2.4GHz MBE, and I'm not looking to get any new PCI-e cards. The link you posted above is for a PCI-e card.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: /dev/null
larrybpsu wrote:
Can you clarify this post's topic? Is this a PCI card or a PCI-e card?


It's both actually :) The first post of the thread is the PCI card I have in my FE. The one pictured near the bottom of the 2nd page is a PCI-E card in my desktop machine.

Two different cards, different manufactures, one PCI, the other PCI-E. It is the PCI-E version of the card that newegg has discontinued. If you're in the market for a PCI card, see the first post of the thread. BTW, this is the same card that cesman used in his Atomic Ant I believe.

_________________
Retired KM user (R4 - R6.04); friend to LH users.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:03 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1637
Location: Virginia, USA
The card seems to be back in stock at NewEgg for $35.99. Bad news, there is a limit of 99 per customer. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 am 
Offline
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 240
Location: Shakopee, MN USA
I just ordered this MSI card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

I am taking the leap of a Plasma HDTV setup and wanted a card that could output native HDMI. My goal is to do audio over HDMI as well. Plus it has 512 MB of RAM over the MSI 8400 with 256.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to R6 in the process to take advantage of VDPAU.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:39 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1637
Location: Virginia, USA
Are there any 8400 GS cards out there that don't block a neighboring slot?

I'd gotten the one posted above in the hopes of someday running VDPAU on my combo FE/BE.

But then recently I decided that it would be good to switch to Firewire channel changing (for a whole cascade of reasons). Unfortunately, the heat sink on the graphics card is blocking my one remaining slot so I can't add the Firewire card I got.

I've already got noisy fans so I guess card fans are OK, just have to make sure it'll fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:23 am 
Offline
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 240
Location: Shakopee, MN USA
ceenvee703 wrote:
Are there any 8400 GS cards out there that don't block a neighboring slot?

I'd gotten the one posted above in the hopes of someday running VDPAU on my combo FE/BE.

But then recently I decided that it would be good to switch to Firewire channel changing (for a whole cascade of reasons). Unfortunately, the heat sink on the graphics card is blocking my one remaining slot so I can't add the Firewire card I got.

I've already got noisy fans so I guess card fans are OK, just have to make sure it'll fit.


PCI :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133245

PCI Express x16:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121235

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127366

See the side view photos of the video cards and you can see the heatsinks are not bigger than the case retention brackets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am
Posts: 1637
Location: Virginia, USA
Thanks very much for sending those links, I ordered the MSI one with fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm 
Offline
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 5:47 pm
Posts: 65
novellahub wrote:
I just ordered this MSI card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

I am taking the leap of a Plasma HDTV setup and wanted a card that could output native HDMI. My goal is to do audio over HDMI as well. Plus it has 512 MB of RAM over the MSI 8400 with 256.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to R6 in the process to take advantage of VDPAU.



So Novellahub how did this card work out for you? Did you ever get audio working over the HDMI? I am currently specing out a new system and am interested in audio over HDMI.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 am 
Offline
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 240
Location: Shakopee, MN USA
mark60050 wrote:
novellahub wrote:
I just ordered this MSI card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127396

I am taking the leap of a Plasma HDTV setup and wanted a card that could output native HDMI. My goal is to do audio over HDMI as well. Plus it has 512 MB of RAM over the MSI 8400 with 256.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to R6 in the process to take advantage of VDPAU.



So Novellahub how did this card work out for you? Did you ever get audio working over the HDMI? I am currently specing out a new system and am interested in audio over HDMI.


Unfortunately I have yet had the chance to use the card yet. I am in the process of finishing my basement and this has taken a backseat for now. I will be ordering a Panasonic Plasma television this week so I am hoping to make some progress shortly.

On a positive note, I did help my brother-in-law successfully get his Motherboard to work with Audio over HDMI using Mythtbuntu 9.04 using this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138113


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:37 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: /dev/null
novellahub wrote:
I am in the process of finishing my basement and this has taken a backseat for now. I will be ordering a Panasonic Plasma television this week so I am hoping to make some progress shortly.


Kinda off topic, but are you going wireless or wired LAN down there? Best time to run some CAT5e is prior to the drywall going up :p

_________________
Retired KM user (R4 - R6.04); friend to LH users.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next



All times are UTC - 6 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Theme Created By ceyhansuyu