View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:54 pm 
1) I have a biostar U8668 motherboard it has onboard audio that did work.
2) I "upgraded" to a Terratec 24/96 audio card with the misonception that I could get better audio and digital audio out. The Terratec didn't work out the output volume was too low and I couldn't get the SPDIF to work.
3) I tried going back to the motherboard audio but I couldn't get it to work.
4) I went back to the terratec and it worked the same as before
5) I installed Azuereus and filled up the / partition. Then I started deleting things and screwed up something on the system and after 5 days of trying to fix it gave up and decided to reinstall Mythtv
6) I wiped the / partition and used gparted to increase the partition from 5 Gb to 14 Gb
7) I installed Mythbuntu couldn't get the sound to work and couldn't get it to recognize my old database so I gave up and...
7) Installed the latest version of Knoppmyth without the Terratec audio card. had no audio did all the alsaconf and alsamixer stuff.
8) Installed the terratec card and ran alsaconf no audio
9) Installed some offbrand audio card no audio
10) Ran ubuntu live CD with all three configurations no audio
11) Reset Bios to factory settings tried with all three configurations no audio
12) Took out my two tuner cards Hauppauge PVR150 and Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI card tried all 3 configurations no audio

HELP
What am I missing Is there some IRQ interupt or something, Should I try and Reinstall Knoppmyth without the PCTV card (with the prior setup the PCTV would record video but no audio)
Help
What can affect 3 soundcards on an installed operating system and a live cd.
At one time the motherboard audio and EWX card both worked.

Last edited by mattbatt on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Audio problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm 
I am having a similar problem with a Biostar onboard audio. I have it working but the output is very low. See thread at http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... nd+problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:59 am 
UPDATE
I tried installing knoppmyth again without the Pinnacle card installed still no audio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm 
Site Admin
Do you know for certain these audio chipsets are supported in Linux? Have you taken a look at the ALSA project website or wiki?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 pm 
Yes both of these chips have worked in the past that's what is confusing the heck out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:12 am 
Have you verified that it's not the old problem where the HDTV card is seen as a sound card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:52 pm 
yes I've run Alsaconfig with no tuner cards installed and still no dice. It's got to be something stupid.

Post subject: FIXED Solved sort of.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 am 
[SOLVED-ish]
So I finally fixed the problem I got the Terratec card to work. I'm not sure what combination of arm flailing and keyboard poking did the trick but something I did worked. I suspect the fact that I updated to the latest Alsa stuff from the Debian UNstable repository might have done the trick but I'm not sure and I'm certainly not going to test it.
I still can't get the motherboard audio to work or the other card but a working MythTV is much better than a broken one. (I had my wife convinced we needed to buy a new computer to fix the problem!)
There is still the problem of low output on my amp 12 - 20 is a moderate level for most inputs and I'm having to turn up the amp to 45 and above. This becomes a problem when I accidentally hit the FM button and blast the entire neighborhood awake. So I'm going to look into a line amp to fix that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am 
[SOLVED] So I am an idiot. I missed the most basic thing.
Science lesson kids the front pannel audio connectors on all computer cases are normally closed, left and right are connected to ground. When you insert a connector you open the circuit and insert 16 ohm resistor (your speakers). I was using the terratec audio card when I changed cases so the motherboard audio wasnt being used at that time. The new (found on the side of the road) case had a Acer proprietary frontpannel audio connector that didn't line up with the motherboard audio connector so I left it un-hooked. Fast foward to last month and my dumb self forgot that I needed to put two jumpers on the front pannel connectors!!! DOH!
The only reason I figured it out was becuase I opened the wrong motherboard manual and in that manual it tells you to keep the jumpers if no front pannel audio is going to be used.
Now I am using the motherboard audio and have no volume problems.

Once again Thank you for all your help.