View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 pm 
Hi,

Upgraded from R5F27 to R5.5. All is working well (the upgrade had a couple of issues but I'll post those separately) except for one problem. My system, running both backend and frontend:

Asus Motherboard, Intel Core2Duo processor, 2G RAM
pcHDTV 5500
Hauppauge PVR-150
Chaintech Nvidia 8500GT

Since upgrading to R5.5 I'm having problems with tearing and pixellation watching/recording live HDTV, no problems with SDTV. I have no problems if I watch something I recorded prior to the upgrade. I've tried many things to help this out, most of them in xorg.conf and nvidia-settings configuration but to no avail.

Occasionally, watching live HDTV works flawlessly. I finally noticed something that seems to be consistent but don't know what to do next. When the problem is occurring, mythfrontend is running at 150% CPU (in 'top') whereas when the live HDTV is working fine, Xorg is the highest CPU consumer at around 75%. When mythfrontend is running at 150% Xorg is around 1%.

Ideas on where to look next? There's nothing after initialization in Xorg.log, nothing that I can see notable in /var/log/mythtv/myth[back|front]end.log either. Pointers appreciated.

Last edited by dkkrause on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:14 am 
I'd start in the playback profiles... most posts i've read that describe playback problems seem to stem from these settings. These playback settings recieved quite a facelift between Rf27 and R5.5.

Might be worth a look?

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject: Re: Live HDTV Tearing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 pm 
I tend to agree with Nathan. In particular if your playback profile is using XvMC for HD (probably so) you will need to check the non-free nvidia driver's existence and correct installation. Setting the profile to cpu++ will disable XvMC, which is where I would start.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 pm 
Thank you both. This appears to be the answer. I ended up creating my own playback profile that doesn't use XvMC (my graphics chip doesn't support it). I'm using ffmpeg2 instead. All is well and I appreciate the pointer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm 
Stuff like this _is_ covered in the R5.5 Hints. I apologize for sounding like a broken record on this point, but so many of the questions we get and the problems people have are completely avoidable if they would just spend 15 minutes reading through the hints before doing an upgrade. The hints are there to make _YOUR_ life easier and less painful, so please, seize the opportunity and benefit from the experiences of people who already walked into almost all of the sharp corners and half open doors (often repeatedly!) so that you wouldn't have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am 
With all due respect, I read the hints cover to cover prior to installation, and used them throughout the upgrade. For whatever reason this solution was not obvious to me. I've been able to resolve many issues myself and this one escaped me. The forum helped, seems to me like the system worked.

I just reviewed them again, and I still contend that the answer is not obvious. I looked at playback profiles in the first place but was thrown off by the fact that it was only live TV that was affected. Nothing in the 5.5 hints helped me with that.

You're an expert; I'm not. While the answer may be obvious to you, it wasn't to me. Again, I apologize for the disruption.