View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Blu-Ray Support
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 pm 
I have noticed that Sony is now selling a Blu-Ray drive with video recording capabilities. This is the Sony BWU-300S http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665491094
The only OS support noted was for WinXP and Vista. Who is going to make the drivers available for Linux. Is Sony supposed to do this or is this something the Linux community will do. Do you suppose licensing is involved or is that handled in the cost of the Blu-Ray disk.
Thank you,

Post subject: Re: Blu-Ray Support
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 pm 
pestocat2 wrote:
I have noticed that Sony is now selling a Blu-Ray drive with video recording capabilities. This is the Sony BWU-300S http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665491094
The only OS support noted was for WinXP and Vista. Who is going to make the drivers available for Linux. Is Sony supposed to do this or is this something the Linux community will do. Do you suppose licensing is involved or is that handled in the cost of the Blu-Ray disk.
Thank you,

If I'm understanding you correctly you are asking if one can write to a Blu-Ray recordable disc under linux? Yes. Playing unencrypted blu-ray discs is also possible with mplayer. Discussions about decrypting (i.e. playing) encrypted DVD/HDDVD/Blu-Ray discs is not allowed in these forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:12 pm 
What I'm really looking for is a stand-alone DVD/VHS or just a DVD recorder/player with BD support for both recording and playback of over-the-air HDTV for time-shifting and archival purposes. It seems I will have a long wait for that to happen. The next approach would be to build my own recorder/player via a PC. First choice for an OS would be Linux. The cost would be much lower than a Microsoft offering. However, it seems Linux cannot be used in a recorder mode for over-the-air TV. The PC approach seems doable with a motherboard with a HDMI port. The only OS that will support this seems to be Vista. On the Asus web site I read, "VGA driver for Windows XP does not include screen scraper defense, Blu-Ray can only run on Vista OS."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm 
pestocat2 wrote:
However, it seems Linux cannot be used in a recorder mode for over-the-air TV.

What do you think we're all doing here? KnoppMyth/MythTV is a recorder/player/timeshifter based on Linux.

pestocat2 wrote:
The PC approach seems doable with a motherboard with a HDMI port. The only OS that will support this seems to be Vista. On the Asus web site I read, "VGA driver for Windows XP does not include screen scraper defense, Blu-Ray can only run on Vista OS."

As I said in my first response, playing of unencrypted BD content is supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 pm 
mihanson wrote:
pestocat2 wrote:
However, it seems Linux cannot be used in a recorder mode for over-the-air TV.

What do you think we're all doing here? KnoppMyth/MythTV is a recorder/player/timeshifter based on Linux.

pestocat2 wrote:
The PC approach seems doable with a motherboard with a HDMI port. The only OS that will support this seems to be Vista. On the Asus web site I read, "VGA driver for Windows XP does not include screen scraper defense, Blu-Ray can only run on Vista OS."

As I said in my first response, playing of unencrypted BD content is supported.

Mihanson,
I guess I assumed that Knoppmyth was working with standard DVD recording and not Blu-Ray. If I do build a PC with Blu-Ray drive I would wish to be able to play Blu-Ray movies, but this would not be the main requirement. I thought read on one these forums that the next release of Linux would have support for Blu-Ray encrypted disks. What would be the timing and I suppose there would be a license fee also, but that is OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:14 pm 
pestocat2 wrote:
I guess I assumed that Knoppmyth was working with standard DVD recording and not Blu-Ray.
Unencrypted Blu-Ray discs should be easy enough to play with mplayer. I have not done it direct from disc, so I can't give specifics.

pestocat2 wrote:
...support for Blu-Ray encrypted disks.

See my "mplayer" link in my first answer. Read the whole page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 am 
I'm about to commit sacrilege with this suggestion. I'm sure it will result in flames spewing forth from fingers, bricks flying through the air, and horrible demons being conjured in my name. Hopefully no-one knows where I live, lest a drive by shooting be concocted.

In its development of Blu-Ray, the entertainment industry tried its hardest to make an uncrackable system, in which only authorized devices can play content. A FOSS Linux environment will never be secure enough for official industry support.

Of course their super-duper super-secret super-encrypted disks were broken in a matter of months. As I understand it, one can rip a Blu-Ray disk to the hard drive, stripping out the encryption, and play that resulting file under Linux. All highly illegal in the US, lawsuits soon coming to most countries near you, and verboten for discussion on these boards. Terribly time consuming too.

My suggestion will raise goose bumps on the back of the neck for every Linux afficionado.

If you absolutely MUST have the ability to play commercial Blu-Ray disks on your HTPC, this is one legal approach. Do all your real HDTV stuff (recording, time shifting, backing up these recordings onto a writable Blu-Ray disk) in Linhes/Knoppmyth.

Here comes the sacrilege . Make a tiny partition just large enough to run that Cerberus inspired Redmond product. Make the install as minimalist as possible. Boot into that OS when you insert your "must see" commercial Blu-Ray disk. View the disk with legally purchased, industry sanctioned, Blu-Ray capable commercial software. For the moment you could even do that under a free copy of Windows 7 Beta. And patches for that sofware will continue to allow playback as the spec is morphed to thwart those obviously hardened criminals, and entertainment industry terrorists, who want to watch a legally purchased disk on a Linux system.

Not an ideal solution. Still requires paying the Redmond Tax. But 100% perfectly legal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 am 
ChapmanI wrote:
Here comes the sacrilege . Make a tiny partition just large enough to run that Cerberus inspired Redmond product.

Once the Windows frontend (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Windows_Port) becomes usable, I will probably try switching to a separate linux backend and a windows frontend/bluray/videogames station in the livingroom linked to the main TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:20 am 
LOL - It's DVD and OTA for me. I'm done trying to jump through the media industry's hoops as they keep getting higher and smaller.

They can keep their cable TV subscriptions and Blu-ray discs. It's DVD rentals and a chunk of metal in the air for me. The best part is - I don't even feel like I'm missing out on anything!

While I know this is a bit extreme if more people would give the media industry the big middle finger maybe business models would change (although I'm not holding my breath). Music is finally going DRM free due to public outcry - no reason video content can't follow suit.

In fact I got a call from Verizon just yesterday offering their FIOS TV service. I politely told the guy that their DVR sucked compared to my Home Theater PC and until they supported cable card or similar for "bring your own hardware" my money was staying in my pocket. His only response was - "I understand" and that is where the sales pitch ended...

my $.02.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)