View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: 2nd Capture card?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:23 am 
Hey Guys, Been away from Myth for quite some time, but getting back into it again. and I had a question for you. I currently have a PVR-250 with a Serial IRBlaster connected to my Myth system.

I'm thinking about adding another tuner to the system, and will need another IRBlaster, but I only have the 1 serial port that I am already using.

Could someone recommend some alternatives? Do they have USB IRBlasters?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm 
There are lots of alternatives.

My favorite is HD Home Run. 2 HD Tuners, no blaster necessary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:22 pm 
Here's info on a USB-based blaster.

http://www.commandir.com/content/view/19/31/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm 
Dual-Headed serial ir blaster is available from IRBlaster.info for $23.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:20 am 
Those are great suggestions, I do have a question on the dual head IRBlaster. Does anyone have any experience setting these up?

Would it be as simple as running 2 different Channel_Change.sh scripts one for each tuner? but how would you specify which head to send the blast on?

thinking that if I had 2 cable boxes, both from the same company, and it was to send out the command on both heads that could cause an issue? or am I overthinking this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am 
What are you tuning with the 2 irblasters? If the devices are different enough, you can have a seperate channel_change.sh script for tuner2 and blast all your ir commands out of one ir blaster, then only the device that understands the command will act on it. I do this with a dish network tuner and my receiver.

You'll have to get a little fancy with the channel_change scripts to wait until the blaster is available before changing, in case the other script is using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:56 pm 
I currently have 2 Star Choice Recievers and was thinking that if I got another tuner card, I could have one to watch while the other records.

However both would be controlled by the same command, which is why i was wondering if with the 2 head version, could you set up each one on it's own script?

Example:

head 1 on first Reciever uses Channel_Change.sh
Head 2 on second reciver uses Change_Channel.sh

Or is it a more simple version then that?

All along I thought it would be easier if I got a USB blaster along with my Serial one and maybe that way I could point them to the different blasters.

or am i way off base by what i want to do? I will let you know, my Linux knowledge is very limited.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:53 pm 
Tengu wrote:
However both would be controlled by the same command, which is why i was wondering if with the 2 head version, could you set up each one on it's own script?

Example:

head 1 on first Reciever uses Channel_Change.sh
Head 2 on second reciver uses Change_Channel.sh

That alone will not work. With the dual head irblaster, all remote commands are sent to all heads. You'll need to change the remote control's codes so only one receiver understands remote A and the other only understands remote B. This is usually accomplished somewhere in the receiver's menu system. Refer to your user manual for how to do that. Then, you need to put both sets of remote codes into your /etc/lircd.conf, giving each set a unique name. You can then use your two scripts above with one referencing the unique name A and the other unique name B from your lircd.conf. Then associate script A with capture card A and script B with capture card B. There may be a way to get fancy and use only one channel changing script, but I'm not skilled enough to speak about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:03 am 
Tengu wrote:
I currently have 2 Star Choice Recievers

Which receivers do you have? I have a DSR205 and a DSR315. Both can be controlled separately by the same remote by changing the address code on the receiver. (Options, Change System Settings, Installation Settings, Set Remote Control Address) Check your manual to see if yours have the same capabilities. http://www.starchoice.com/english/customercare/techcentral/usermanuals.asp

Both my receivers use remote model IRC451. I've captured all 4 remote address codes. Let me know if you want my lircd.conf.

I'm not recording with both receivers but have verified that changing the address works with the remote and _should_ work with a dual head irblaster and separate channel change scripts.[/url]