View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:14 pm 
Here's something that has been driving me nuts over the past week. I had a slave backend with two capture cards connected to two cable boxes. I used a CommandIR II to set the channels on each and it worked great, after upgrading lirc to 0.8.4a.

Then I got a new Myth machine, so I shuffled things around and moved the CommandIR and capture cards to a new box. The CommandIR just would not work. The light would go green, and it received signals, but would not recognize them or transmit any.

Matthew from CommandIR suggested adding a USB hub instead of plugging the CommandIR directly, as some motherboards have issues with timeout errors. Adding a new USB 2.0 hub solved everything, and now the CommandIR is working just like before.

This MythBox has an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, which I had previously considered to be perfect. I also tried the CommandIR with no luck on an ASUS Pundit-P1, so I guess ASUS boards may have somewhat buggy USB controllers. The old board which worked fine was a Gigabyte GA-7VT600.

I never would have thought of using a hub if Matthew hadn't suggested it, so if anyone else is having the same trouble, try a hub and see if it works.

Hari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 pm 
I had a similar problem with a commandir II receiving the same error message 110. My motherboard is an ASUS P5N7A-VM. Per Hari's post, I plugged in a usb hub and my commandir II is magically working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:27 am 
I suspect this is more a case of the commandir II not functioning exactly according to the USB spec than it is a case of either of your motherboards having a problem. The usb hub is probably less picky about the standard and by actively buffering with a standards compliant chip, it neatly fixes the problem. It is a bit like getting a lawyer to do your talking for you. They speak the same language, but they are paid to get the subtleties right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:29 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
I suspect this is more a case of the commandir II not functioning exactly according to the USB spec than it is a case of either of your motherboards having a problem. The usb hub is probably less picky about the standard and by actively buffering with a standards compliant chip, it neatly fixes the problem. It is a bit like getting a lawyer to do your talking for you. They speak the same language, but they are paid to get the subtleties right.

I would agree. This is likely a problem with the commandir and not the motherboard. None the less, hari provided some great advice that got my system working. My thanks to hari for posting this otherwise I would have been playing with the drivers forever.