View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:12 pm 
I have four Mythboxes on my internal net.... ( Their proprietors watch different content, so I don't use a master BE...)

The two outputs from HDhomerun, can each one be called by a different Mythbox ? Could all four access the HDhomerun (as long as they aren't calling for conflicting content at the same time ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:45 am 
Four Myth boxes, which are all recording something, need four tuners - two HDHRs.

You can set MythTV to not use a tuner if it isn't recording/scanning/guide-downloading, but an active tuner cannot be shared between backends.

I suspect the users of the mythboxes would be much better off sharing a backend, because there would be some times when they are recording/watching the same content (or, at least from the same network multiplex).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 am 
nigelpearson wrote:
Four Myth boxes, which are all recording something, need four tuners - two HDHRs.
Hah ! The people using my four have virtually no overlap in watched content, hence I never did the MBE thing. Sometimes there is a need for three recordings simultaneously, but only two card slots in the computer. Here is where I thought the networked HDhomerun came in... The computer at IP ...101 records the output 0 from HDHR, and the computer at IP ....111 records from HDHR output 1..... Is THAT doable ?

I got an HDHR coming, so I'll find out soon, I guess...

Quote:
You can set MythTV to not use a tuner if it isn't recording/scanning/guide-downloading, but an active tuner cannot be shared between backends.
But is the above manuever doable ?

Quote:
I suspect the users of the mythboxes would be much better off sharing a backend, because there would be some times when they are recording/watching the same content (or, at least from the same network multiplex).
As noted, some users wouldn't benefit... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm 
snaproll wrote:
The computer at IP ...101 records the output 0 from HDHR, and the computer at IP ....111 records from HDHR output 1..... Is THAT doable ?

Sure, that is doable. But with separate systems, there wouldn't be any way to coordinate the recording. Meaning, you would need to dedicate each HDHR tuner to a particular Myth backend. Meaning that you would need at least four tuners, and each system would only be able to record one show at a time.

On the other hand, if you implemented a master backend, and then had each user record into a particular "Recording Profile", then the Myth system would be able to do what it is good at and prioritize the recording hardware. And with each person using a different "Recording Profile" the shows would not be intermingled, so they wouldn't have to dig to find the stuff they are interested in.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:26 pm 
opel70 wrote:
snaproll wrote:
The computer at IP ...101 records the output 0 from HDHR, and the computer at IP ....111 records from HDHR output 1..... Is THAT doable ?

Sure, that is doable. But with separate systems, there wouldn't be any way to coordinate the recording. Meaning, you would need to dedicate each HDHR tuner to a particular Myth backend. Meaning that you would need at least four tuners, and each system would only be able to record one show at a time.

What I had in mind, is that my two primary HD Mythboxes already have two internal tuners each, but sometimes there is a need (infrequently..) to silmultaneously record 3 or 4 programs on the same box, in which case, the HDHR would do the additional programs. Then I wondered if the OTHER box needed to record three, could it access the HDHR, as long as the first box wasn't using it ?

Quote:
On the other hand, if you implemented a master backend, and then had each user record into a particular "Recording Profile", then the Myth system would be able to do what it is good at and prioritize the recording hardware. And with each person using a different "Recording Profile" the shows would not be intermingled, so they wouldn't have to dig to find the stuff they are interested in.

Yeah but I have a TB drive on the primary HD machines, I'd need bigger on a MBE to keep up. On the other hand, I never used 'recording profiles' so don't know much about it. Not intermingling the shows was a plus for the individual machines, but all the eggs would have to have a really big basket with a MBE.

(The 3rd & 4th machines currently get SD satellite on 500mb drives, and don't have much need to access the HDHR, I just wanted to know if 'because they can' was operative...) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:46 am 
snaproll wrote:
I wondered if the OTHER box needed to record three, could it access the HDHR, as long as the first box wasn't using it ?

Yes, that should be possible, but then there might be times when both it and the first box wanted to record three things, and one of them t random will fail in strange ways (e.g. empty recording files, no recording but the BE thinks it did record it, et c.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 am 
nigelpearson wrote:
snaproll wrote:
I wondered if the OTHER box needed to record three, could it access the HDHR, as long as the first box wasn't using it ?

Yes, that should be possible, but then there might be times when both it and the first box wanted to record three things, and one of them t random will fail in strange ways (e.g. empty recording files, no recording but the BE thinks it did record it, et c.)

Got it ! I monitor what's set up to record on all boxes anyway so not a practical problem. I understand it wouldn't be automatically protected against.

I expect to get my HDHR soon and will start playing with it, probably including some tests to see what happens when I do ask the impossible' .... :lol:

Thanks for the help ! I'll report what I eventually find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:35 pm 
Just an observation...

4 BEs using 4 tuners (2 Homeruns with 2 tuners each) means that you have to allocate 1:1. Nobody can ever record more than one show at a time.
If you built a MBE, it would be able to record 4 shows simultaneously, and everybody gets to record two or more shows simultaneously "some of the time" as opposed to "none of the time".
Just another way of looking at the resources..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm 
With regards to the storage needs on a mbe couldn't the recording schedules also specify which storage group to use, therefore each user could be storing their own programs on their local machine?
Note that I haven't used Storage Groups and have no idea whether you could use network shares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
Just an observation...

4 BEs using 4 tuners (2 Homeruns with 2 tuners each) means that you have to allocate 1:1. Nobody can ever record more than one show at a time.
If you built a MBE, it would be able to record 4 shows simultaneously, and everybody gets to record two or more shows simultaneously "some of the time" as opposed to "none of the time".
Just another way of looking at the resources..

The way I'm looking at it... The 2 satellite boxes were mentioned gratuitously... I'm good with them using one tuner each for their respective satboxes... I was curious if they could access the HDHR too...

My main use is two HD boxes, each has two tuners, not always enough....
The primary aimed at a HDHR would cover 4 recordings, but the nature of the HDHR is that I could record 4 programs on the second HD box, if the first one wasn't using it... And... apparently both HD boxes can access it at the same time giving 3 recordings available on each...

I like this arrangement better than a MBE..... :lol: