View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:35 pm 
Not a show stopper problem, but a annoying one.

I have a HDHomeRun connected direct to eth0 on my R6 Myth box via a crossover cable. The HDHomeRun does not support assigning a static address, but does auto assign a ipv4ll address (random 169.254.x.x) if it does not find a dhcp server. I static assigned 169.254.1.1 to eth0 and it does address and come up at boot time. Wireless interface wlan0 is flagged as default, from which internet updates are pulled down.

My problem is: I must restart the mythbackend (alt-3) once after booting, or it doesn't detect the HDHomeRun.

Originally I had eth0 set to dhcp and it would pause then timeout at boot time with NO address. Afterward I could manually force "dhcpcd eth0" and it would assign a ipv4ll address. (then restarting the backend would connect the HDHomeRun)

How can I fix it so I don't need to restart the backend each reboot? Do I need to delay backend startup? And how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 am 
It seems that going back to your dhcpd on eth0 and troubleshooting that would be a good start IMO. Then check the logs for dhcpd and see why it's not starting before mythbackend.
Ultimately, Determining why ".. it would pause then timeout at boot time with NO address."

Or you could check ebay for a cheap router and be done. For example, I see several "befsr41" routers for $10 with free shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:10 pm 
I have extra wireless routers, but that would add *another* box sitting on top of my mythbox crowded with next to the old tivo , 2 game consoles, and crippled cable box we need for extended basic HD channels.

Luckily I don't need to restart the mythtv box much, but I'd really like to figure it out at some point.