North Bridge Intel G31
South Bridge Intel ICH7
Video Intel GMA 3100
Audio Realtek ALC662
LAN Realtek 8111B
CPU - E7400 Wolfdale
Samsung HD103UJ 1TB HDD
HVR-1600

I have everything except HD working with this setup. I decided that I can live with out HD for now so I put the PVR-150 in the box. Everything seems to be working fine until I get to the main menu ie I can turn num lock on an off while it is booting. When I get to the main menu R6 cant use the keyboard any longer. The keyboard still works because I can activate my KVM with a scroll Lock double tap. I have ssh to the box and everything works there, I have tried reinstalling with and with out the pvr-150 installed, I have downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware, I have completely unplugged the system and still no dice. The chipset on the 150 and 500 is CX23416-12.

I am stumped as to where I should look to track down this problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 pm 
I's been a long time since I did any keyboard related troubleshooting, but here's a few suggestions. Some/all may not be actual solutions, but may help some of the gurus around here narrow things down a little.

1)Bypass the KVM--at least with the KB. Your post doesn't mention ever trying it, so why not.
2)Try another keyboard--once again, you hadn't mentioned trying that.
3)If your BIOS allows it, reserve IRQ 12. Some offer options for a legacy device etc... If memory serves me correctly, PS2 keyboard controllers typically sit on IRQ 12 and it is possible something else is as well.
4)Make sure Plug and Play OS is set to "No". If it is already, try "Yes" just for giggles.
5)Burn a LiveCD from another Distro (say Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc...) and see if the problem happens there too.
6)If you have one, plug in a USB keyboard see if the problem exists for the USB KB.
7)Move the 150/500's to another PCI slot--if possible.
8)Try google for Arch linux and PS2 keyboard problems... I did a little searching and came up with at least one that sounds similar:
http://www.mail-archive.com/arch@archlinux.org/msg09497.html

YMMV
--L0o0ky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm 
RCS wrote:
When I get to the main menu R6 cant use the keyboard any longer.

Try adding this to xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
L0o0ky wrote:
I's been a long time since I did any keyboard related troubleshooting, but here's a few suggestions. Some/all may not be actual solutions, but may help some of the gurus around here narrow things down a little.

1)Bypass the KVM--at least with the KB. Your post doesn't mention ever trying it, so why not.
2)Try another keyboard--once again, you hadn't mentioned trying that.
3)If your BIOS allows it, reserve IRQ 12. Some offer options for a legacy device etc... If memory serves me correctly, PS2 keyboard controllers typically sit on IRQ 12 and it is possible something else is as well.
4)Make sure Plug and Play OS is set to "No". If it is already, try "Yes" just for giggles.
5)Burn a LiveCD from another Distro (say Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc...) and see if the problem happens there too.
6)If you have one, plug in a USB keyboard see if the problem exists for the USB KB.
7)Move the 150/500's to another PCI slot--if possible.
8)Try google for Arch linux and PS2 keyboard problems... I did a little searching and came up with at least one that sounds similar:
http://www.mail-archive.com/arch@archlinux.org/msg09497.html

I tried a lot of those things after I posted.

1/2/6) I bypassed the KVM all together .. disconnected the mouse and hooked a spare KB I have. I even went out and picked up a ps/2 to usb connector for it (I have an OLD AT KB that I loath to give up so I will need the connector one of these days)
3/4) No Joy not a bios option for them.
5) tried that Mythbuntu works ... MythDora appears to work. I am jsut stubborn and I like the Big C's work.
7) did not think of that but at one point the 150 hit at least 2 of slots 1,3 & 5 at some point. So I just walked it down the line still no joy.
8 ) ah did not find that site before ...

mihanson - the xorg.conf has that by default :) but you gave me an idea since I read that the xorg.conf is not really needed I renamed them. noy joy here either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:07 pm 
just a FYI that I have the same problems, the keyboard is working as i can switch to a console or press F2 to get the boot screen. just seems that its got a hang up on the keyboard input in X havent figured it out yet.

Is VNC still on here? I was trying to get that working to attempt a VNC virtual keyboard

that link for the archOS bug provided is exact problem but cant find the issue yet, I also cant get a USB working they die at about the same time.

since I just need to get this working for now to test with my equipment I cheated with VNC
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X11vnc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:33 am 
This is exactly the same problem I an having with two of my pvr-150's. If I have either of them connected once the R6 setup screen starts I lose my keyboard.

I thought it was crashing but hitting the power button causes the system to start the shutdown scripts. Also the little penguin is still flashing like all is good. I tied a usb kb with no luck, and PnPOS = yes/no.

I have a total of three pvr-150's two are model 26582 and caused kb lose when connected. I also have one model 26552 that does not. It works fine if I remove all of the 26582 cards. I thought it might be a problem with multiple cards of the same model, but even installing just a single pvr-150 model 26582 causes the keyboard lose once setup starts.

This is in a asus p4p-800 p4 2.8GHz with 1gb of ram, and an ATI video card. I had the same problem with an nVidia 6200 though also.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:55 pm 
mihanson wrote:
Try adding this to xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Thanks. This actually fixed my problem.