View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 pm 
I decided to upgrade the motherboard and cpu on my Backend/Frontend Server today. All was going well until I tried to hook up my Serial IRBlaster via my Keytronic USB to Serial adapter.

I have used this adapter in the past. In fact, I bought it a few years back for another Knoppmyth machine that did not have any serial ports.

If memory serves me correctly, I ended up replacing /dev/ttyS0 with a link to /dev/ttyUSB0 and that worked. I quickly found that udev no longer allows that simple fix.

Anybody have any ideas? What does everyone do these days? Does everyone just buy a PCI or PCI-x serail card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 pm 
From some of the posts I've read on the net...

You can NOT take a serial (rs-232) ir blaster and connect it through a USB-Serial converter. LIRC handles the bitrate modulation directly, and this will get lost through a USB converter.

If you want to keep the serial blaster, get a PCI serial board. Otherwise look for a USB ir blaster to replace it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 pm 
What I find really odd is that I used to use the USB to Serial adapter with a SFF system that did not have a serial port a few years back and it worked fine. But... maybe it wasn't the irblaster. Maybe it was a serial connection to the cable box.

I have ordered a serial card and will try that. The days of serial ports on motherboards are numbered anyway,

Are there any good usb ir blasters out there?