View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:32 pm 
Hello All,

I have knoppmyth R5.5 running on athlon64 3500. I have 1x twinhan VP3020C tunercard and 1x kworld DVB T100.

On occasion, i seem to get a problem where the tuner card stops working. MythTv doesn't detect this failure and goes ahead and tries to record the show, marks it as recorded but produces no mpg file. If i try to watch live tv, it also fails to find signal.

looking in the syslog, i notice the following message:

Jun 21 17:22:08 mythtv_main kernel: i2c-adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
Jun 21 17:22:08 mythtv_main kernel: cx22702_readreg: readreg error (ret == -14)
Jun 21 17:22:08 mythtv_main kernel: i2c-adapter i2c-0: sendbytes: error - bailout.
Jun 21 17:22:08 mythtv_main kernel: cx22702_readreg: readreg error (ret == -14)

It is repeated at (what seems) random times. I also saw the following message, but only saw it once:

Jun 21 20:36:29 mythtv_main kernel: cx22702_writereg: writereg error (reg == 0x00, val == 0x01, ret == -14)

This error has mainly caused the Kworld card to stop functioning, but has also caused both cards to stop or also only the twinhan card to stop.
A reboot of the machine results in the all cards working 100% perfectly again. Visually, both cards produce great picture / sound when functioning.

This occurs at random intervals, sometimes 1 per week, sometimes 1 per 3 days or even 1 per 2 weeks. I cannot seem to put pattern on it.

I previously had 3x twinhan cards (no kworld) in the machine and this config worked flawlessly for about 4 months until 1 of the cards failed (produces unwatchable picture / sound) and then also a second twinhan card become suspect (some pixelisation). As i cannot buy the twinhan cards any more, i bought kworld cards (great price and simple) as i had success in family members computer without any hardware issues. These problems with the random failures have started occuring since i put the kworld card in.

Can anyone share some explanation to the i2c-adapter errors?
Any other advise on how to fix, as this random failure (without any good means of detecting it) is a major annoyance as i am missing many programs!

Thanks,

Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm 
Hello All,

An update on this topic:

The way i knew something had happened was by checking Mythweb interface and i could see "0 B" next to an affected recording. It eventallu clicked with me that i may have a disk issue as i knew that no file was being created.

I have since moved to 2x Kworld tv cards as my last Twinhan card is suspect, but that again did not help the issues.

About a week ago, the problems continued and i begun getting computer freezes and i would have to reset. Only this time, the resets would sometimes result in the computer not booting. It was getting stuck in BIOS hard disk detection screen. I realised that it was having trouble finding my main storage HDD (320GB SATA disk).

At this stage i was now seeing SATA / controller errors in my logs a lot now, so i decided to get the data off as precaution. I managed to get most of it off and now the drive is unreadable. I have replaced the drive and now have no probs booting up.

I will now test the machine a while, and i plan to load up the HDD a bit to test also, and i believe i will not see the original issue again.

Will report back in a week or so.

So it seems likely that my issue was HDD related, not TV card related.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 pm 
Hello All,

Another update. It seems my HDD problem was separate. I again had repeat of the i2c errors and cx22702 readreg errors originally mentioned in my first post which resulted in my recordings failing. Again , after a simple reset, it worked.

Does anyone know some simple additions i can add in my system to get more detailed debug info? module options? additional software to run to collect more info? My syslog and messages files don't really have much in them to show errors except the i2c and cx22702 readreg.

I really want to fix this issue...

Simon