View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:05 pm 
ok, ok, have your laughs.... I am a Home Entertainment n00b - but not a complete computer idiot....

I just installed LinHES 6.01.00 and I think everything went well. I got my SchedulesDirect account in there and it works with my SnapStream Firefly remote right out of the box (nice change from my old install). However, I am not sure I have everything (cables) hooked up correctly.

My System:
Athlon 64 3200+
2 x 1GB RAM - Kingston DDR PC2700
Hauppauge PVR-350
Hauppauge PVR-250
Hauppauge PVR-250
WD 250GB IDE ( IDE0 Master )
TDK DVD Burner ( IDE0 Slave )
GeForce 7300 GS PCI Express 256MB

My Cable Provider: Comcast - I have ONE set-top-box.

Notes: I had this running with Knoppmyth R5.22? or similar a while back - but haven't had it working for about a year. I decided (my wife decided) that it was time to resurrect it. I don't remember how I physically had it hooked up - but we used to be able to record 3 shows at once.

I know R6 doesn't support TV-out on the PVR 350 yet, but I have the Frontend showing on my TV through my video card.

I can't seem to get Live TV or Recording to work....

any suggestions? This is a clean system. I have a 1.5TB drive ordered and should be arriving in the next week or so. I plan on using the HUGE drive for /myth/tv and everything else on the 250GB drive.

My fear is that I missed the boat with the whole digital revolution... Do I need new tuner cards to take advantage of the new digital signal? Like I said, I got it working before - but it was pretty much dumb luck, I think.

I'd like to record 3 shows at once and/or watch one while recording at least 2 at once.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Hauppauge PVR-250
Hauppauge PVR-250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 pm 
Since you have three analog inputs, the simplest way would probably be to use a three-way cable splitter, with each of the three outputs going to a different PVR card. This will allow you to record three shows at once, or record two and watch one live.

Are your PVR cards set up properly? ALT+S will launch the setup; you should make sure your three cards are showing up. Then you should make sure you have created video sources (this will involve you setting up listings, which you seem to have done). Then you need to connect your video sources to your cards in the "Input Connections" section.

One challenge is that since you have a set-top box (STB), you may have more digital channels than analog; in that case, the only source for these extra channels is the set top box. If this is the case, you will need to hook up your set top box to one of the PVRs and probably use an IR blaster to control it (or Firewire if you have an HD box, but that's outside the scope of this). Downside is you can only record one show per STB and you can't use the STB while it's being used for recording (well, you can, you just have to be watching whatever you're recording).

You say you wonder if you need new tuner cards to take advantage of the "digital revolution"; not sure if you meant the transition to over-the-air digital TV, which doesn't affect you if you are only recording from cable, or if you mean you didn't have a STB in the past. Having a STB complicates things, but you don't need a new tuner card. You MIGHT benefit from a tuner card that can receive ClearQAM, because apparently there are some unencrypted digital cable channels being broadcast in that and you could receive them with such a card, but that is unsupported and there is no guarantee that it will continue to work.

Post subject: on the right track...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 am 
how do I get to an xterm window? I used to be able to exit and right-click and find it in the menu - but now when I exit it brings up a friendly "Welcome to MythTV" page and I cannot figure out how to open xterm to run "mythfilldatabase".

I have seen the setting for it but now can't find it...

Thanks.

Hauppauge PVR-250
Hauppauge PVR-250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am 
ALT + X will do it. Also ALT + H brings up a page that tells you all the ALT shortcuts.

You could also just switch to a virtual console and login and run it there (CTRL+ALT+2 or 3).