View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:12 pm 
I'm getting ready to upgrade my KnoppMyth setup so I have a bit more power for commercial flagging and transcoding HDTV.

I would really like to go to a quad-core setup, but as best I can tell, there's nothing listed in Tier 1 or 2 with a quad core.

Anybody have any experience with R5.5 and a quad-core processor/motherboard?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:23 pm 
Here is one that I am using...

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19486

I run two of these as front ends with dual-cores (E8500) but they will take quad core. It also has an integrated Nvidia 9300.

One of backends is an older board with a quad core (core2 6600)so there are lots around.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:32 am 
s1148625 wrote:
Anybody have any experience with R5.5 and a quad-core processor/motherboard?

..any reason you're still running on R5.5?

s1148625 wrote:
I'm getting ready to upgrade my KnoppMyth setup so I have a bit more power for commercial flagging and transcoding HDTV.

Is the flagging software multithreaded? What kind of case are you planning to use? I only ask because a quad puts out a considerable amount of heat and most these boards offered today are micro or mini-ATX form factor. Your selection of a case, cable management, choice of CPU cooler, and ventilation of the case need to be on par with it. Don't get one of those cheap "HTPC" cases that has a single 60mm fan with a quad!

I recommend a good HS/F like the Xiggy S1284 and make sure you purchase the backplate which is sold separately. As to case ventilation, look for something w/ at least 2x120 mm fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:44 pm 
I have a Silverstone LC10, and will probably remove what I currently have to install the quad-core board. I'd rather use a mini ATX motherboard (or at least something with 2 or more PCI slots for my analog tuners), but if micro ATX is the only way to go, so be it.

Does anyone have any ideas about compatibility with the newer AMD boards? It seems I can get a lot more bang for my buck with a quad-core Phenom II than with an Intel chip.

I'm still on R5.5 because the kernel module for the ATI Remote Wonder doesn't work properly (from everything I've read), and I'd be forced to use lirc to control my remote. I've tried it before, and I hate the lack of repeating keys. I've got a ton of media in my Videos, and it's useless to try and scroll through one keypress at a time. I know it's a minor thing, but I've got no plans to upgrade from R5.5 until somebody figures out how to get the kernel module and xmodmap working properly in a newer version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:43 pm 
Give a G41 board a try? I recently tested out a P45 board that worked just fine. See this post. I'm really keen on a G41 board due to the rumored low power consumption. Add a $50 8800GS and you've got a nice VDPAU system.