View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:20 pm 
I take care of a friend's KM box. He recently told me his box stopped booting. Since I can't SSH into it now, I asked him to take photos of the screens. He says:
Quote:
This morning I did a few power switch reboots -- and when I got home from work, my Knoppmyth box displayed the photo "found like this"

I then did another reboot and got the second photo "knoppmyth" results.

I have his photos here for your examination:

FOUND LIKE THIS:
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/neutron68/Knoppmyth/Knoppmythfoundlikethis.jpg

REBOOT ATTEMPT:
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/neutron68/Knoppmyth/Knoppmyth-reboot-attempt.jpg

Do these symptoms look familiar?
Any idea what has happened or how I recover his machine?
Is this a failure of sectors on the hard drive or is this the results of a lockup or software crash that screwed up the disk file system?
Should I try a fsck as the first image advises?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 am 
I found this, which does seem to state that you should be running fsck as the first image advises:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-i ... 00780.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm 
The forum post in the link suggests that this situation was likely caused by a uncontolled shutdown (like a loss of power or a press of the RESET button on the pc).

I think my friend has his KM box on a UPS so a short power outage could not damage his KM file system. I'll have to ask and see if he really has a UPS on the machine or not...

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm 
I agree, the UPS should be fine for short outages, but if there's a long outage and he doesn't have apcupsd running (or something similar), and it's not configured to do an orderly shutdown, it could happen.

Or sometimes errors like that creep in even with orderly shutdowns. Or his hard drive is dying...