View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:06 pm 
I just installed a HDHomeRun device on my network and set it up in Mythtv. I am running the 0.22 version of MythTV. Prior to the HDHomeRun, I had one analog tuner (PVR150) and one digital tuner (PCHDTV5500). When I go to the backend status page on MythWeb, there are 5 encoders listed.

This is confusing. There are only 2 tuners in the HDHomeRun, why did it add 3 encoders? Should there be 2 encoders? 4 encoders?

I pulled up LiveTV on one of my frontends, and I used the switch input option to go to all 5 inputs. I was able to view TV on each input...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am 
The HDHR should just be 2 encoders, at least that's what I have always seen.

However your PCHDTV5500 might be setup for 2 encoders with the simultaneous recordings option. This enables the back to back recordings to take place on 1 encoder and saves a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 am 
I only had 2 encoders before I installed the HDHomeRun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 am 
Because ATSC or QAM carrier frequencies are multiplexed many HD tuner devices support multiple virtual tuners for the same physical one. The restriction of course is that you can only use them to capture sub-streams of the same carrier. So for example if I'm recording two things on the same carrier with my HD5500 (like back to back shows on 82.12 with overlap or something on 82.7 and 82.12) it can act as two (or more ) tuners. In MythTV 0.21 the HDHomerun only supported one stream per tuner, but there was supposed to be an enhancement coming in 0.22 to address that.

Anyway to find out what virtual tuners are defined now associated with which hardware check out the capturecard and cardinput tables in the database, or run the mythtv-setup utility and check under "Capture Card". Any device that shows a "Recording Options" button on the "Capture Card Setup" screen can support multiple streams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:50 pm 
Okay, that solves it. Under the recording options of one of the HDHomeRun tuners the max recordings was 2 and on the other it was 1. I set both of them to 1 for now.

It now shows 4 encoders.

However, if I set them both to a max recordings of 2, I still see 5 encoders. Shouldn't I see 6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:39 pm 
Well I'm not sure how it's doing the math. It may still be counting the two tuners on the HDHomerun as 1 each for some reason. That would make sense if the HD5500 is being counted as two and the PVR as one. This may have something to do with how it gets the stream(s) from the device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 pm 
Can anyone else with an HDHR and running 0.22 confirm this?

The max recordings for the HD5500 has always been 1.

Is it maybe based on the recordings I have set? I used to be able to see what encoder a recording was planning on using by looking at upcoming recordings in MythWeb. However, those boxes that used to show the encoder number have been empty since I upgraded to LinHES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm 
The best answer was probably my first one. Go check the two DB tables I mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 am 
I don't have a HDHR but I would suggest trying to tune each of the 5 tuners to a different channels and see if they all continue to work independently. If what you are seeing is multiplexing, then my understanding is that two of the virtual tuners would have to be on the same frequency so you should not be able to see CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and PBS at the same time. If you can't do this, it should give you a clue as to which tuners are tied together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm 
I have 2 HDHR's, and each tuner is set to max record 2. That leaves me with 8 encoders, which are listed in mythweb.

I would think that maybe you have a hangover encoder from your previous capture cards... Possibly remove all the cards in mythtv-setup, check the db to make sure there are no spurious cards/cardinputs, then readd the hdhomeruns in mythtv-setup.

Or have a look at hte db tables like suggested earlier, and see if theres a referential integrity issue (ie an orphaned table entry).

nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector