View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:57 am 
I have ordered all the parts on the KRP list, including the intel DG965WHM motherboard and the Chaintech AV-710 soundcard.

The intel mobo already has a SP/DIF (optical) output jack, and the pamphlet that came with it boasts "Intel® High Definition Audio (enabling 7.1 surround sound), Dolby* Home Theater* certification"

Naturally I am wondering, why do I need the soundcard? It seems unnecessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:03 am 
Quote:
Can someone suggest a reliable supplier for this case [Silverstone LC17], at close to the RRP? ($139)

It looks like www.newegg.com has this case in stock in both black and silver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 17&x=0&y=0

Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 am 
marco75 wrote:
Can someone suggest a reliable supplier for this case, at close to the RRP? ($139)

We hadn't originally planned to sell the cases on their own, but if you give me your zipcode, I can give you a quote on a LC-17. Do you want black or silver? Black seems to be more plentiful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:10 am 
marco75 wrote:
Naturally I am wondering, why do I need the soundcard? It seems unnecessary.

That's a fair thought :) Please see https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa- ... hp?id=2672 for why we don't use the onboard digital audio. In summary, onboard digital audio mostly works, but the loud static noise prior to playback can be obtrusive and definitely sounds broken.

Post subject: Re: second KRP system
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:05 pm 
Human wrote:
With Dragon launched, we're working on the concept for the next KRP system...

It'd also be great for someone who wants HDTV and doesn't want to spend the money required to do full-quality playback on the front-end.

Do you have a different idea for the next KRP? Remember, we're your store - help us make what you want :D

Hi Human,

I grew tired of the endless bugs/compiling and lack of HD support from my xbox frontends, that I took the dive into uPnP based hardware. I selected the Buffalo Link Theater after much research into the capabilities of this device, and found that it lived up to the abilities claimed. However, when I tried it with MythTV, I first thought that it was lacking, but later realized that there were bugs in the Mythbackend. So I upgraded my backend to trunk, then patched the remaining ff/rew bug, and added a commercial skipping feature.

What I can say is, with the next version of MythTV 0.21, the Buffalo Link Theater provides total HD player compatibility for a very reasonable price, and no fooling around with software. The box looks like a DVD player, upconverts standard def to hidef, and plays nice with the backend.

I'd recommend it as the front end to a client/server based KRP.

Regards,

Rob

Frontends: Buffalo Link Theater, Mac Mini Intel duo core & Xbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 am 
Thanks, robsbox! We'll look into this as MythTV 0.21 approaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:02 pm 
Robsbox,
According to Buffalo's website, the Link Theatre will only play HD at 720p. Does it downconvert 1080i/p content to 720p or not play 1080i/p at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:14 pm 
mihanson wrote:
Robsbox,
According to Buffalo's website, the Link Theatre will only play HD at 720p. Does it downconvert 1080i/p content to 720p or not play 1080i/p at all?
Is that the one? Shoot, I was getting excited about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882139001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:25 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
mihanson wrote:
Robsbox,
Is that the one? Shoot, I was getting excited about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882139001

Hmmm... I don't know. Robsbox, please specify model number if you can. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:48 pm 
Human,

It's been a while, but I'm still looking for a good Dragon HD frontend. Have you seen this case?

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/gmc-avcs7-htpc-case-wvfd-and-remote-black/cName/htpc-cases

It comes with iMon VFD (with is recently supported under LIRC... I think). It has great dimensions. Maybe paired with an all-in-one ABIT motherboard like this one:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AN-M2&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813127027

with newer on-board nVidia graphics:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=771&num=1

Who knows if the audio will have problems (can't seem to find any reports on this).

Put a low power AMD processor in it:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103186

Add 1GB memory, slot load DVD and you could have a very nice front end for $600 or so.

-Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:36 pm 
mihanson wrote:
slowtolearn wrote:
mihanson wrote:
Robsbox,

Hmmm... I don't know. Robsbox, please specify model number if you can. Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but the link points to the one I got, PC-P3LWG/DVD. From the looks of Buffalo's website, it looks like its been discontinued.

It will upconvert to 720p or 1080i, whichever one you've set the output to. It won't upconvert a DVD, "Due to the requirements of the DVD Consortium and MPAA."

Frontends: Buffalo Link Theater, Mac Mini Intel duo core & Xbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:56 pm 
robsbox wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but the link points to the one I got, PC-P3LWG/DVD. From the looks of Buffalo's website, it looks like its been discontinued.

It will upconvert to 720p or 1080i, whichever one you've set the output to. It won't upconvert a DVD, "Due to the requirements of the DVD Consortium and MPAA."
Thanks for the info. Looks like a great unit for a frontend and there are still units available on the 'net. Guess I'm going to get a new toy! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:14 pm 
Say Human,

I noticed you added a new Lite-on DVD (LH-20A1S) drive to the dragon 2 system specs. Do the R5F27 auto-install scripts auto-install for it, esp. since it is SATA? Or are dvd-drives generic enough that there is no fancy configuration needed?

Also, when building the dragon 2 boxes, do you need to run a digital audio line (the little 2 or 4 pin connector) from the dvd-drive into the Chaintech card or can you just connect the PATA or SATA cable and have everything function just fine.

And finally, since the HD Homerun is external, you could add that to your network and then have four tuners (assuming you already had 2 internal PCI tuners), correct? Does a single WD harddrive have any trouble writing 4 HD streams at once if you are able to use this configuration?

Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:57 pm 
segamifo wrote:
I noticed you added a new Lite-on DVD (LH-20A1S) drive to the dragon 2 system specs. Do the R5F27 auto-install scripts auto-install for it, esp. since it is SATA? Or are dvd-drives generic enough that there is no fancy configuration needed?

It just works :) Given the older kernel in R5F27, we're still relying on the boot parameter workarounds for SATA on the Intel ICH9 chipset, but even that will go away when KnoppMyth gets a kernel update.
segamifo wrote:
Also, when building the dragon 2 boxes, do you need to run a digital audio line (the little 2 or 4 pin connector) from the dvd-drive into the Chaintech card or can you just connect the PATA or SATA cable and have everything function just fine.

Just a data cable (IDE or SATA) and power connector are all that are needed. Everything is transferred digitally over the data cable.
segamifo wrote:
And finally, since the HD Homerun is external, you could add that to your network and then have four tuners (assuming you already had 2 internal PCI tuners), correct? Does a single WD harddrive have any trouble writing 4 HD streams at once if you are able to use this configuration?

Any KnoppMyth box will now auto-detect and auto-configure all detected HDHomeRuns, hd-5500s, HD5000AVs, and hd-3000s, so you could indeed buy or build a Dragon with two internal tuners and put it on a LAN with an HDHomeRun, and it'd all work.

I've recorded three streams at once on an old Dragon 1.x test system, where two of the streams were from the HDHomeRun, and there were no problems. I don't anticipate a problem on the Dragon side of the equation. You may run into problems if your LAN is saturated with other traffic.
segamifo wrote:
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome! Thanks for your questions :)

Post subject: frontend-ish Dragon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 am 
For people who are interested in a frontend-only version of Dragon, we recently added some options to the Dragon configuration page for people who want to build frontends using the Dragon hardware. If you select the downgraded HDD (160GB) and choose the option for no tuners, the base price drops from $1157.57 to $1022.57.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next