View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:49 am 
abrendel wrote:
I love my two Dragon's (1.1) although the issues with Myth 0.20 was disapointing (not your fault in any way).

I'm curious (or nosy... depending on your perspective). What are your issues with Myth 0.20 and the 1.1 Dragon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:53 am 
nharris wrote:
I'm curious (or nosy... depending on your perspective). What are your issues with Myth 0.20 and the 1.1 Dragon?

There are performance issues with the AMD64, which show up on Knoppmyth R5D1 + Myth 0.20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:44 am 
I've been very pleased with my MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard" ( Complete spec here http://bronosky.com/?p=21 ) which is now a bit out of date. The reason I bring this up is that the mobo has SPDIF co-ax and optical that both worked out of the box. All I had to do was read how to "turn on" digital audio out from the wiki. It also has 6 channel analog out, of which I only ever used stereo, but it was also zero-conf. My point is that I have been pleased with MSI and the chipsets provided by this nforce mobo.

Afrosheen (and others), have you heard about Intel open sourcing their video drivers? I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard it brought up many times on the Linux Action Show. If they have opened the FULL drivers and not just some minor PR appeasing piece, I suspect that Intel will quickly become the best supported graphics for Linux. (at least for 2D)

Human, how do see this (Intel driver deal) panning out for the Myth/Linux community?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:54 am 
abrendel wrote:
Do you still plan to "support" and do regression testing for the 1.0 and 1.1 Dragon models in future KM releases, or will you only be validating the latest KRP2.0 platform on new KM releases?

I currently support 1.0 and 1.1, and when 2.0 comes out I will likely support all three. As you can imagine, each supported model increases the effort required to test new releases and update them, but I have a plan to rearchitect some of the automation to make it easier to support.
abrendel wrote:
I love my two Dragon's (1.1) although the issues with Myth 0.20 was disapointing (not your fault in any way). I am wondering if I stick with my 1.1's will I be limited with regards to future feature sets? Or should I start saving my pennies for new KRP 2.0 systems when the spec is finalized?

To further complicate your decision, after 2.0 is out, I'll be working on 1.2, which revitalizes the 1.x line with some newer hardware. It's not clear yet whether or not there'd be an upgrade path from 1.1 to 1.2, because I don't know whether or not I'll keep the same motherboard. At that time, I may drop official support of 1.0, since there is a clear hardware upgrade path from 1.0 to 1.1.

I don't anticipate stopping support of 1.1 any time soon. Even when support does eventually stop, it just means you might not benefit from all the streamlining and automation involved when doing installations. They'll still be KnoppMyth-compatible systems. They won't by any means cease to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 am 
RichardBronosky wrote:
Human, how do see this (Intel driver deal) panning out for the Myth/Linux community?

Assuming the Intel video is comparable to ATI/nVidia in performance, if Intel video devices have the best out-of-the-box support in Linux, then it seems logical that most customers who want to run Linux will avoid nVidia and ATI solutions. nVidia and ATI would either have to follow Intel's lead or lose Linux market share.

Two of the boards I chose for my second motherboard roundup for Dragon 2.0 have embedded Intel video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:10 pm 
I'm cheering for the Intel video. Let us know how the Abit and Intel motherboards go.

In the last few weeks, I have been through three installs of KnoppMyth, one Ubuntu Edgy and two MythDora v3 (last two days). So far, KnoppMyth is the winner... but the 0.20 compile and fix process stinks. If you need another beta tester, my machine is ready to be abused.

Quick off topic suggestion: Add a nice KnoppMyth control panel (icon on the desktop or menu list) to launch all the KnoppMyth config scripts and such. It took me forever to dredge up the the knoppmyth-tz command to get my timezone corrected. A mythtv-setup script (which stops and then restarts the backend) would also be nice. For that matter, a modern distro as a base would be nice. Something with a recent Firefox so I can read and work through install issues and such on the box. Even without all that, KnoppMyth has the other beat with amount of install polish and options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:44 pm 
nharris wrote:
In the last few weeks, I have been through three installs of KnoppMyth, one Ubuntu Edgy and two MythDora v3 (last two days). So far, KnoppMyth is the winner... but the 0.20 compile and fix process stinks. If you need another beta tester, my machine is ready to be abused.

Just let Cecil know. You sound like you have the aptitude for testing.

nharris wrote:
Quick off topic suggestion: Add a nice KnoppMyth control panel (icon on the desktop or menu list) to launch all the KnoppMyth config scripts and such. It took me forever to dredge up the the knoppmyth-tz command to get my timezone corrected. A mythtv-setup script (which stops and then restarts the backend) would also be nice.

This is a great idea, I like the idea of a KnoppMyth menu list. (I don't think FluxBox does desktop items.) I've been trying to come up with something to patch. I just want my name on the books. I think I can do this.

nharris wrote:
For that matter, a modern distro as a base would be nice. Something with a recent Firefox so I can read and work through install issues and such on the box.

Broken link removed

Last edited by RichardBronosky on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 pm 
RichardBronosky wrote:
Link Removed by Request of Author

That link does not seem to work for me... maybe here:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11629&highlight=firefox

My point was that it would be nice to have a modern Firefox installed out-of-the-box (a menu item to launch it would be extra nice). That's the only debug tool I have found missing.

Last edited by nharris on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:15 pm 
nharris wrote:
That link does not seem to work for me

Ooops, that is a post in the Testers Forum. I guess users have to get blessed to be in there. Anyway, it was a poll asking if Firefox should be included in the install. The result was 18:81 / Y:N, so I'd guess it's not going to happen.

Generally the sentiments went like:

Quote:
just wasted space. you already have mythbrowser. it's easy enough to install if someone wants it. I think we stay true to the minimalist set top box idea.

Here's the walk through on installing firefox:
Code:
su
apt-get update
apt-get install mozilla-firefox

Also, I think there is a GUI for apt. I try and avoid GUIs though. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I find GUI tasks to be dangerous. I like having a log of everything I do in my .bash_history file. It's a lot easier to unbreak stuff when you don't have to post to the forum: "I do not know what I did to..." ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:30 am 
This is getting off topic and I apologize in advance. Just two last comments:

1. The apt repository version of Firefox is very old. 1.0.x version I think... yuck. I know that advanced users can get around this and install a modern Firefox, but I think the real point is making it easy for non-technical users. This is why Ubuntu rose over Debian... IMHO.

2. I also use apt-get mostly, but Synaptic is nice when searching through packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:31 pm 
Just saw that the Dragon 2.0 is up in time for post-Christmas shopping. A few annoying (and self centered) questions:

1. Will it netboot? I'm considering getting two... one as a frontend/backend combo and another stripped down for a frontend.

2. Would you consider offering any other case options (like for a stripped down frontend)?

3. Will you offer an analog capture option (ie-PVR150 or PVR500)? My backend will be dual OTA HD and dual DirecTV analog capture.

4. Did you do any testing of the onboard intel video? If so, any CPU performance numbers... could it do 1080i? If so, this would be a nice option for the stripped down frontend.

5. Along the same lines, is there a way to get the motherboard SPDIF output working?

-Nathan

Last edited by nharris on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:00 am 
and:

6. Is there room for a second hard drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:42 am 
nharris wrote:
Just saw that the Dragon 2.0 is up in time for post-Christmas shopping.

That's actually when we do most of our sales :)
nharris wrote:
A few annoying (and self centered) questions:

Heh :) I like all questions about Dragon.

nharris wrote:
1. Will it netboot? I'm considering getting two... one as a frontend/backend combo and another stripped down for a frontend.

The hardware supports it, but I haven't tested it.
nharris wrote:
2. Would you consider offering any other case options (like for a stripped down frontend)?

We definitely will. The LC17 case is the only option at launch time, but we'll be adding more case options over time. Do you have suggestions?
nharris wrote:
3. Will you offer an analog capture option (ie-PVR150 or PVR500)? My backend will be dual OTA HD and dual DirecTV analog capture.

Because the folks at Hauppauge keep changing their chipsets on a regular basis, it's hard to guarantee that a PVR500 card sold 2 months from now will work with today's software. We are, however, considering getting some analog/digital cards from pcHDTV.

nharris wrote:
4. Did you do any testing of the onboard intel video? If so, any CPU performance numbers... could it do 1080i? If so, this would be a nice option for the stripped down frontend.

No performance numbers, but onboard video does work. However, it has an allergy to MythTV. Everything looks normal until you try to play widescreen content, and then you only see a very zoomed-in view of the center of the content. Mplayer doesn't do this on the same content - just MythTV. And on top of that, playback is choppy. It's nearly there, though, and Intel has committed to supporting Linux, which is why we're optimistic that we'll soon be able to sell baseline Dragons that use the onboard video.
nharris wrote:
5. Along the same lines, is there a way to get the motherboard SPDIF output working?

It does work currently, but it has an annoying side-effect: https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa- ... hp?id=2672
nharris wrote:
6. Is there room for a second hard drive?

Yes, but consider the heat that this adds. If you don't want to have to add extra fans, I think it's better overall to go with a single large drive than dual drives. Dragon 2.0 has options for up to a 500GB SATA II drive, and we're keeping an eye out for a cool and quiet 750GB SATA II drive. (The Seagate we tried was very loud and hot.) Western Digital has really been the leader in quiet large drives in our experience, but they don't currently have anything above 500GB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:46 am 
Human wrote:
nharris wrote:
Also: The new Dragon needs to run 0.20-fixes. We are all using the HDHomeRun. Let's all hope a new KnoppMyth gets released soon.
At the moment, I'm working on both Dragon 2.0 and the next KnoppMyth (which includes 0.20-fixes), so that should be the case.

If Dragon 2.0 requires the next KnoppMyth, and Dragon 2.0 is out now, shouldn't there be a new version of KnoppMyth somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:26 am 
Atamido wrote:
If Dragon 2.0 requires the next KnoppMyth, and Dragon 2.0 is out now, shouldn't there be a new version of KnoppMyth somewhere?

Very observant :) The next KnoppMyth will be out within a week, so by the time any purchased Dragon 2.0 systems arrive at their buyers, the next KnoppMyth version will be out and ready to use.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next