View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:22 am 
<b>See post below</b>

the money is tight and I'm looking to buy my parts for my mythtv setup.

I'm torn between these two setups right now. one with the better mobo, and duron chip, or older chipset with athlon chip..

which is a better idea?

i'm gonna be using a plain capture card with no hardware encoding... so i'm not sure if the duron/athlon processors will make a big difference in this.

i'm looking at these for the duron setup
Shuttle nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "AN35N-Ultra"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

or
ASUS nForce 220-D Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "A7N266-VM AA"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... WSE&depa=1

and for the athlon setup
this mobo
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... 141#rebate

don't really want to pay more than 100usd for the combo, hence the indecision. i've already got 256 mb pc2100 ram , so the faster ram compatability won't matter,

please let me know which is a better decision, i'll probably order my parts tm.

eugene

Last edited by fwah23 on Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:23 am 
I'd say if you're going to want to add a second are in the future, get the Athlon. If not, the Duron will suffice... I personally am fond of the microATX as it is easier to get a case that looks like it belongs in an entertainment center.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:06 am 
cesman wrote:
I'd say if you're going to want to add a second are in the future, get the Athlon. If not, the Duron will suffice... I personally am fond of the microATX as it is easier to get a case that looks like it belongs in an entertainment center.

I don't know about that I think I would say the duron both ways and if he decides to add a tuner make it a pvr250/350. The reason I say that is because with the older via based motherboard chances are you will never be able to have a pvr250/350 due to the ivtv compatibility problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:27 am 
cesman
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:23 am Post subject:

you mean to add a second computer? this one will be my frontend and backend, you guys supporting the duron, does that mean it should be pretty decent with mythtv on a inexpensive tuner card?

I want to be able to watch livetv while recording another channel if possible.

eugene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:31 pm 
thanks for your advice, I just ordered a duron, the asus mobo with the older nforce chip, i wasn't going to go for gaming all that much, so the onboard video is going to be good enough.

if i do game though, is it viable to have a dualboot with win xp, and just leave the comp in knoppmyth when you know times are recording.

for the ethernet connection, is wireless pci supported well ? i can't get a wired connection.

eugene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:52 pm 
If you want to watch live tv while recording another program, you'll need two tuners. That is why I recommended the Athlon. It may cost more, but you don't have to worry it you wanted to record 2 stream and say watch a Divx or MPEG w/ MythVideo.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!