View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Pundit system questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:41 pm 
I am building a system with a Pundit barebones, a celeron 2.4G, 256M, pvr 250, 12x dvd.

I have some MythTV / KnoppMyth questions. I am more a linux "moron" than a newbie, so please be gentle. I have to use GUI for almost everything. On my home linux machine I use Red Hat.

1) Can a hard drive be too big for the OS? Like windows did to me. I want to use a 250G they have on sale at Dell. This is the only component I'm lacking. I may upgrade the 256M memory as funding comes along.

2) I would like to use some of the features of the Pundit (firewire, pcmcia, 4 in 1 reader, etc...) I know that many of the drivers for this stuff on linux are very beta. If I want to use this, would I be better off installing regular Myth over a different flavor Linux (Mandrake).
I am very drawn toward Knoppmyth because it seems a lot more user friendly on the installation process.
I've heard of people taking two weeks to install Myth because of all the dependancies. Then a lot give up and just load windows onto their nice new PVR device. I don't want to be one of those people.
I probably shouldn't be attempting to build this, but I really, really, really want one.

Thank you for your responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:46 pm 
you should be fine with the 250GB drive. Linux is fine with it, the only thing that may cause you problems with it is the bios, but the pundit systems are pretty new, so I'm almost certian that they support that size drive.

As for the other stuff. I would guess the 4in1 would be fine. The os usually detects it as one or more scsi drives. I've had no problems with this in debain so I would immagine knoppmyth would be fine. I'm not sure if knoppmyth is set up to use pcmcia or not, but adding support I don't think would be too difficult. as for firewire I'm not sure, but if it's supported anywhere without a kernel recompile it probably will be in knoppmyth as well, because I think they pretty much use a stock knoppix kernel. (not sure on this one though)