View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:18 am 
Hello, I am having problems getting my ethernet card to work. I can put a windows box on the same drop and obtain an IP quickly, but when I try from knoppmyth or Mandrake for that matter I cannot. I have tried several ethernet cards. (Intel 10/100 pro, 3com 905, 3com 595 tx) I am using a Soyo dragon motherboard with on board ethernet, though I thought I may have better luck using a PCI card. I have a Linksys router configured to be a DHCP server.
I have tried the netcardconfig lots of times. Do I need to assign an IRQ to the device?
I am new to linux (again).
I also have an ATI TV wonder, but have not yet tried the suggestions from Big John. I'm trying to get connectivity first.

Anyone have any ideas for me?
Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:19 pm 
You shouldn't need to assign an IRQ to the card. Why cannot you use the onboard adapter? Which module does the on board adapter use? When you run netcardconfig, what does it say? It it states cannot find NIC then it the problem is on the system. If it just cannot get an IP, is the cable seated properly? Is the Linksys configured properly?

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:15 pm 
Site Admin
Ok, how about this test. Boot the KnoppMyth Release 4 cd
with your USB network connected.
When the menu shows up, press <ALT><F2>, ( that is press
and hold the ALT key and press the F2 key and realease both.
This should give you the 2nd virtual console and you will get
a root prompt. Type in 'lspci' and press <ENTER> This will
scroll a 'bunch of stuff about your hardware' . Look for the USB
stuff and let us know what that says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:42 pm 
Aha! I'm NOT the only one! And here I was starting to feel lonely.

I was installing from a Mandrake ISO onto 2 new PC's, one a Barton 2500, the other a K62-350 (used but new to me) and, at the same time, was also building another new PC (for a friend) with a Barton 2500, but with M$ XP. At any rate, I ran into the exact same problems you're reporting. Both Mandrake PC's would not pull an IP, wouldn't even accept a manually input IP, but when the M$ XP machine was put together, it worked flawlessly and connected to both routers perfectly. I worked on this for 4 days, even going so far as to completely redownload all 3 Manrake 9.1 ISO's. Finally, I found the problem.

In your BIOS, be sure you tell the machine the OS you will be installing is NOT Plug-n-Play compatible. Turns out the current Madrake core (and any other Linux with version 2.4 core) is NOT PnP compatible while standard XP IS compatible. (And just in case anyone decides to mention it, yes, I know the next kernel WILL be PnP compatible [as well as ACPI], and I also know that does not include the upcoming and eagerly awaited Mandrake 9.2)

Let me know how this works for you.

Post subject: really late response
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:47 pm 
Sax, I finally gave up on that MB. As soon as I used a different MB everything worked great. It has the VIA KT400 chipset, and I tried updating via-rhine, but still no luck.

Post subject: try pump
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:35 am 
try

pump -i eth0