View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:39 pm 
I just went and did the upgrade from 6.02 to 6.03 however I have concerns that mine my not have worked right.

I do all of my adjustment work from a remote terminal that connects via ssh into my mythbox. But in the middle of the upgrade process I find that I should have been running the process from within a X session.

This poses two questions for me, as I ran the process in a standard ssh session I don't know if the db upgraded properly? Also why is there no mention that this needs to be run from the FE on the MBE in a X session?

The other issue I have is that I am looking at virtualising my MBE in the near future and the system will be headless, so how will future upgrades be done, when I don't have an X session running on the MBE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:11 am 
iirc I was able to update using vnc on my headless backend. seems i also had a ssh session open with top running as the vnc had to close a time or two during the update. ymmv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:07 am 
Girkers wrote:
I just went and did the upgrade from 6.02 to 6.03 however I have concerns that mine my not have worked right.

why? Are you having symptoms? If I recall in the upgrade script the only dependency on an X-session was a pop up while a certain "wait" activity was happening. I read through the script and just did the steps manually instead and avoided that section.

Girkers wrote:
I do all of my adjustment work from a remote terminal that connects via ssh into my mythbox.

I do most of it this way as well. I raised the concern about the script to Cecil as well.

Girkers wrote:
This poses two questions for me, as I ran the process in a standard ssh session I don't know if the db upgraded properly? Also why is there no mention that this needs to be run from the FE on the MBE in a X session?
I don't think it was contemplated. As for the DB, this is driven by myth anyway, the script doesn't do it. The only gotcha in 0.23 is that you do need a front end running after the upgrade process specifically on the master backend. Just once mind you.

Girkers wrote:
The other issue I have is that I am looking at virtualising my MBE in the near future and the system will be headless, so how will future upgrades be done, when I don't have an X session running on the MBE?

I run my backends all headless and all as VM guests. I use VMWare server 2 which has a console view. So that means from the VMWare web based mangement panel I can pop up the master's front end in a virtual window and do what I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:36 am 
BTw, I've formally opened a bug to capture this concern: http://www.linhes.org/bugs/issues/705

Note though in the wiki that it now recommends not to run this in ssh: http://www.linhes.org/bugs/projects/lin ... ade_LinHES

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:04 pm 
I was bit by this as well but it wasn't a big deal since I run a combined FE/BE box, just had to dust off the keyboard.

It would be really great if the upgrades could be done via an ssh terminal though. I think a lot of people maintain their myth boxes that way.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:29 am 
My original concerns were just that the update didn't work properly, however since my daughter starting using it today it locked up a couple of times and missed a recording start date.

So I went and did a backup and an upgrade from the CD, however this is now failing as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:08 am 
you may wish to do a recover and optimize of your database as it may have been corrupted (but probably not from this procedure). "optimize_mythdb.py" should do the trick for you.

I rechecked the script and it starts the mythbackend to do the database upgrade in the background. It then tries to open the xterm. If it fails the upgrade should continue as long as you give it enough time to complete before rebooting. You would then still have to open the frontend on the master backend in order to update the myth plugins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:17 am 
This is was also discussed here.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21130&highlight=

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 am 
Just to let people know how I ended up, I tried a backup and reinstall, but the restore did not seem to work. The restore was left for over four (4) hours but it did not seem to be working.

When I rebooted it appeared that the restore had worked but the system was unstable. So I reinstalled from scratch and copied the files out that I wanted so it is working good at the minute.

Thanks everyone for your efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:37 am 
I ran into the same problem. The upgrade notice on the front page just mentioned running a pair of shell commands. The rest of the family was playing on our game console, which uses the same TV as the mythbox. Rather than interrupt the game, I just went in via SSH. It's just some commands, right? Then it tried to spawn an xterm and failed. Huh?!?

Eventually I got this error:

Code:
Performing LinHES specific schema updates.

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/MythBase.py:1770: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
  self.message = str(self.args[0])
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-config.py", line 7, in <module>
    mythdb = MythDB()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/MythBase.py", line 998, in __init__
    dbconn = self._listenUPNP(dbconn['SecurityPin'], 5.0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/MythBase.py", line 1115, in _listenUPNP
    raise MythDBError(MythError.DB_CREDENTIALS)
MythTV.MythBase.MythDBError: Could not find database login credentials
All done!
Thanks for choosing LinHES!
The V4L\DVB modules were upgraded.

After rebooting I checked the logs. Said that the back end database schema was indeed upgraded.

After about half an hour I got a turn at the TV. It showed a GUI notice for a database upgrade. I ran that, and the output in the log files looked reasonable. Then I ran the next few commands after that in the script. (Still using SSH of course.) When I got to this one:

/usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-config.py

...I got that error quoted above. So I ran it in an actual xterm. Said it used connection settings from /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and nothing else. Logs mentioned updating path names.

So far all seems to be working normally. The kids are watching something. We'll see if anything comes up.

Summary: Never assume that the user will be running the upgrade locally. It either needs to work via ssh (my preference - why would a schema upgrade need a GUI anyway?) or it needs to detect a non-xterm and die with a suitable error.