View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:20 am 
In the GUI for R6's installer, there is a screen where the user is asked to select a system type with the following options: Stand-Alone, Master Back End, Slave Back End, and Front End Only.

What's the difference between standalone and MBE? Is it just the added configuration to mysql and NFS exports? Do both options get mythfrontend?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:38 pm 
Standalone is the only one that gets a front end I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 am 
I actually answered this for myself and forgot to post. The MBE does get a frontend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 pm 
So are 'Stand-Alone' and 'Master Back End' doing the exact same things during install?
If yes, wouldn't 4 options to pick from be more confusing to a brand new Myth user than 3?

-btw, Thanks for including 'Front-End only' as an install choice this time around guys. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm 
I honestly don't know what the differences are between standalone and MBE. I'm assuming that MBE adds some defaults NFS shares and comments out the skip-networking line in the /etc/my.cnf file but I'm just guessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 am 
Stand-Alone has the local back end IP address and master backend address set to 127.0.0.1

Master Back End has the local back end IP address and master backend address set to 192.168.0.1 or whatever you set it to.

It has been my experience that if you setup as a Master Back End and you unplug the network the MBE front end can not find the back end. It seems to need some response from the router to work.

If you change the settings to 127.0.0.1 everything worked without a network connected.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:34 am 
That makes sense. 127.0.0.1 is set in the host file as localhost so it doesn't ask the router anything. Mbe asks the router for 192.168.0.1 and it just happens to come back to it'self. If I understand corectly all video playback will leave the comp and come back. This would cause a load on the LAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:45 pm 
Where I have seen the change made between Master Backend and Stand Alone (R5.5) is in your backends setup screen (Alt S ) Backend Setup

1. General / Hosts Address Backend Setup (the first screen)
....Local Backend (Your Host Name)
........IP address 127.0.0.1 (or your MBE IP Address)

....Master Backend
........IP Address 127.0.0.1 (or your MBE IP Address)

The etc/hosts file may also change during install but I am not 100% sure because I altered my MBE file. If someone could check there etc/hosts file that had a default MBE install and post back there information would solve this question.

I think these where the default settings

Stand Alone Install
....127.0.0.1 MythMBE localhost

Master Backend Install (note: not 100% sure this was the default setting)
....127.0.0.1 localhost
....192.168.0.11 MythMBE (or your MBE IP Address) (Your Host Name)

On installs
Stand-Alone, Master Back End, Slave Back End all have front ends and back ends installed.

Unless you have plans to connect a additional Slave Back End or Front End Only machine, the stand alone option will give you the fewest headaches and I think faster response time when you make a selection with the GUI. I have a Gigabit network and I think I can tell the difference between a MBE / Stand Alone although it is slight.

I learned this the hard way. I got a brainstorm about a year ago to clean up my network cables I had scabbed thou out the house. The plans where to fish conduits into the walls and pull new Cat 5e and RG6. I gutted the existing cables because I needed the real estate for the conduits not thinking that there would be repercussions from disconnecting the network. After a barrage from unhappy household occupants because the only Frontend in the house could not find there recordings. I changed the Mythtv back end settings to 127.0.0.1 but the etc/hosts file was never changed and stayed 127.0.0.1 localhost, 192.168.0.11 MythMBE. You would think this would cause a major problem but everything still worked but with added glitches. About 2% of the time when a recording was selected it would pop up "can not find Backend" but a retry would start the recording like normal. There always a lot of extra disk activity that did not seem correct. Most of the time when a recording was selected it would take 30 to 45 seconds to start playing a recording. Playback of recordings would also freeze on the screen for about 1 minute and then continue about once every recording. I guess the lesson from this is if you change the Hosts settings on Mythtv you also must change the settings of the ect/hosts file so they correlate.

From the School of Hard Knocks
Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm 
I got caught in the standalone vs master backend confusion. :roll: I have a working standalone machine and another box that I want to use as a remote FE to it. Is there any way short of a system rebuild to do this?

Changing from localhost to a real IP on the standalone box prevents causes the typical can't find backend errors