View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm 
I am running r6 with 0.22. I run 'sudo pacman -Syyuf' every few days. Most days if get 'local database is up to date'. When I get the list of updates available is there someplace I can look that tells me what they do? Just curious to know; not that not knowing keeps me from downloading the updates. Thanks for a great product. My whole family loves it!

Mike McCullough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm 
#1) Never use the -f switch unless you know what you're doing. The safe way to upgrade is -Syu.

#2) I don't think there is a list of what package contains what beyond manually querying the package (-Ss packagename) but that only gives a short description. If you're upgrading, you're not installing new packages, just replacing old ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:29 pm 
Thank you for the tip. Don't know why I was using the -f switch. I will stop that. I will try what you suggested. Don't really need to know I was just curious. Thanks again for the great product and the rapid response.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm 
"pacman -Ql packagename" will give you a list of files owned by a package. Have a look at "man pacman" for other query options.

However, there is no way that I know of to see exactly which files have changed in a particular upgrade. I suppose you could manually take both the old and versions from the package cache and extract them each to separate folders and then diff them, but I don't know if that would actually tell you anything too useful. If you want to try it, "pacman -Syuw" will download but not install all updates. (I use this all the time to pre-fetch updates if the backend is busy... then the next -Syu (or just -Su, since the database is updated at this point) will just install them without me having to wait for downloads.)

BTW I'll bet you saw -Syuf on the news page instructing those running beta versions how to upgrade to the release R6, but unfortunately it kind of makes it look like everyone should be using it every time, which, as graysky mentioned, is actually a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm 
paulsid wrote:
However, there is no way that I know of to see exactly which files have changed in a particular upgrade.

You can see what files changed before you upgrade by checking the LinHES PKGBUILD repository.