View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: nvidia driver conflict
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm 
Just built a new R6 box, fresh install, put in the same video card I had before.
nvidia GeForce 6200 (verified in lspci)
the DVI doesn't work, not even in POST which is odd because it worked fine before.
I tried to install the nvidia driver but pacman refused

pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: nvidia-utils conflicts with nvidia-96xx-utils. Remove nvidia-96xx-utils? [Y/n] y
:: nvidia conflicts with nvidia-96xx. Remove nvidia-96xx? [Y/n] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: vdpinfo-96xx: requires nvidia-96xx-utils
:: vdpinfo-96xx: requires nvidia-96xx

Do I remove vdpinfo-96xx so I can install the updated driver?
Am I even on the right track toward getting the DVI to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm 
As an update, I tried several options in xorg.conf but never got any output. I also plugged up the SVideo port and immediately got video so both vga and svideo work without any changes to xorg.conf. Leads me to believe my dvi port is bad or something similar. Unfortunately I don't have another PCI-e card to test with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm 
The 6200 should be using the "nvidia" driver, not the older 96xx series. Try to remove the vdpinfo-96xx package first and use the -f switch if you need to do so. I dunno about your dvi thing... they have always just worked if something was plugged into it for me. Post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you want.

My R6 box is still connected to an SDTV via svideo so the xorg.conf for it won't help you. I think that once you get the right package installed you'll be okay. Do you have an LCD monitor you can plug into the box to test the dvi port? Failing that and assuming you're using an HDTV, download the ubuntu live cd and boot from it while the TV is connected, it should auto detect it and you should see output there I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am 
I was able to force (pacman -Rd) the 96xx packages and then installed nvidia and nvidia-utils. I had to force (-Sp) vdpinfo because it's still looking for nvidia-185xx
Still can't get anything to work on the DVI and the only explanation I can fathom is the cable is bad but I don't have a spare at work to test with. If I get home, plug it up with the dvi>hdmi and it works great. If not I'll use the svideo which is working fine.
My TV at home is one of those Sony Wega's with all the overscan problems so I may be better off with svideo anyway.

The monitor at work I'm installing/testing on is an LCD with vga/dvi/component/composite/svideo and it works fine with vga or svideo but not dvi. I also tested with another monitor with dvi but I didn't pull the cable and I'm not going to at this point anyway, just taking it home and trying it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm 
If you don't have access to another DVI cable, do you have access to a DVI to VGA converter, that would then allow you to test the port and negate the cable as a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 pm 
When I got the box home and hooked it up using my DVI>HDMI cable it worked flawlessly. First chance I get to connect another box via DVI to that monitor at work I'll figure out if it's the cable or monitor and I'm going to get a couple spare cables as well. But the main goal to have the box working at home again has been accomplished, and once I found out you have to use the menu and search for new videos from the media library I was good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm 
it sounds like you need to switch the monitor from VGA input to dvi to me.
Neither of my acers switch automatically.