View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:54 am 
I'm attempting to setup a diskless frontend and the first question I get asked is "Please enter the desired IP-Range of addresses that should be allocated by clients, separated by a single space." What should I put here? Since I'm booting over the network, won't the IP of the Frontend be assigned via DHCP?

I'm confused, and am finding no instructions on the forums for what I should put here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:08 am 
I believe that the backend will now run a DHCP server. So the question gives it a range of IP addresses to use. If I remember right, further in the process you can tie an IP address to the client's MAC address so the machine always gets the same IP - something you want to do if you will have more than one diskless client.

You *might* run into problems if you have another DHCP server (like a router) running on your network. I do but it seems to work OK. I have 4 diskless clients running at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:56 pm 
Okay, so I should be fine as long as I stay out of the same range as my other DHCP server. Thanks for the info. Seems like there should be a tutorial even though there's a script. I'll see if I can put one together based on my experience and put it up on the wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:26 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
Okay, so I should be fine as long as I stay out of the same range as my other DHCP server. Thanks for the info. Seems like there should be a tutorial even though there's a script. I'll see if I can put one together based on my experience and put it up on the wiki.

This would be great help to me as I will be venturing down this path soon. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
Okay, so I should be fine as long as I stay out of the same range as my other DHCP server.

I'd say that this is not correct. I've been running diskless FEs for some time now & have had problems with the two DHCPds on the network. Once your dhcpd is running on your MBE edit /etc/dhcpd.conf & comment out the line that says
Quote:
allow booting;
This will prevent your MBE's dhcpd from responding to 'normal' DHCP requests.

This was suficient for close to 2 years when suddenly clients were getting confused again so in the end I added the following line (after I had configured my FEs):
Quote:
deny unknown-clients;
This, combined with the MAC to IP mapping the LinHES script will do for you was sufficient, we're all one big happy family again.

Be sure to run the script twice so it locks the client MAC addr with a particular IP addr. Even tho your FE might be disklessly booting very happily, any other machine that tries to do a diskless boot on your network could potentially start booting LinHES by accident.