View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm 
Just wondering, is anyone out there using LinHES (or KnoppMyth) as a media server without doing any TV capture?

I ask because, after months of contemplation, I've ordered my cable TV service cancelled. Hardly seemed worth keeping because I don't watch as much TV nowadays, and online shows + DVDs can cover most of the rest. There are very few OTA channels where I live, so essentially this decision means taking the R out of my PVR box. I decided that it would still be useful to keep a media server going, though, for existing videos/recordings, music, etc.

So with that in mind my current inclination is to move to different software, e.g. something like XBMC, which is less TV-centric. However I wondered if anybody might be using LH/KM as just a media server, without doing any recording. If so I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences and any customizations you might have made that make for a better recording-less user experience. Not having to rebuild the server and migrate to new software would have definite advantages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:39 pm 
I would suggest keeping a tuner (or two) and going with a roof top antenna with amp. If you live in the boonies/apartment/etc.. then this may still not be an option. Then use XBMC for your movies and archived TV shows. Between Hulu desktop and XBMC plugins, there is a bunch of stuff to watch.

For serving media, there is samba/NFS for filesystem serving. MythTV, XBMC and fuppes will all serve UPnP/DNLA. Also, you can install slimserver (aka-squeezebox server) in order to serve audio (both local and internet streams).

http://mysqueezebox.com/download

The only thing missing is Netflix/Amazon/Vudu (and similar) which use DRM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 am 
nharris wrote:
I would suggest keeping a tuner (or two) and going with a roof top antenna with amp. If you live in the boonies/apartment/etc.. then this may still not be an option. Then use XBMC for your movies and archived TV shows. Between Hulu desktop and XBMC plugins, there is a bunch of stuff to watch.

Cool, thanks! It actually didn't occur to me to try using both Myth and XBMC on the same system. I will be keeping my 1600 card and wouldn't mind using it for the odd time I want to record OTA stuff.

So my next question was going to be how to go about doing adding XBMC to LH, but like a good boy I searched first and found your R6 and XBMC post. So I'll give that a try!

Sadly we don't have Hulu here in Canada nor anything like it AFAIK. Most of the networks have their own online flash players so there's no shortage of online content, but it's not nicely available all in one like with Hulu.