View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:05 am 
See below but I rebooted the system to see if it would clear up and now it will not come up (system starts to initialize but shuts off).

I returned from a trip yesterday and decided to backup my system (just hadn't done it in awhile). Backup (from the Service Menu) doesn't work. I found the following in the log:
Quote:
sh: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I haven't been home in almost 2 weeks which was the last time I ran a backup. Not sure what has happened or how to resolve. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 am 
Have you been installing or upgrading SW from either the Arch repositories or abs instead of the LinHES ones?

http://www.linhes.org/bugs/issues/547

Basically, you need to boot with CD and copy over the original libreadline. Then you probably want to remove/downgrade the software that triggered the problem.

In general, only SW from the LinHES repositories can be installed. It has diverged too much from the mainline to be able to share SW safely.

http://www.linhes.org/bugs/issues/555

(If you have only installed SW from the LinHES repositories, then you should probably open a flyspray)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am 
Thanks for the reply. I have nit touched the machine in almost a week and have not installed anything on this one. It worked before I left and now isn't.

Just for grins, I booted on the cd and looked at all logs and in /lib. All seems normal (libreadline.so.5 is there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 pm 
Thought I would give an update in case anybody else sees this. First of all, I have no idea what has happened since this machine was left untouched for over a week - the symptoms are that some software was installed (but it wasn't - nobody has been here). Anyway, I am back up now. I had to boot using an Arch Live cd, then mount the arch partition, then reinstall Bash... (pacman -r /mnt/sda1 -Sy bash).

The only odd thing now is that my backups are failing (it actually performs the backup but Cecil then tells me "backup failed"). More to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm 
Running checkbackup as root should diagnose the problem. For the most meaningful results you should do it asap after the error.

Post subject: I had similar problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:51 pm 
I had similar issues, I thought my drive was dying so I ran a bunch of fsck commands on it and even they would freeze up.

Turned out my machine was overheating even though my thermal sensors said it was fine. Removing the heatsink, ram and cleaning them thorougly (ok, I ran them under the sink), cleaning the dust out of the computer, and reseatiing the ram and heatsinks fixed everything.

nVidia GeForce 8400GS
Hauppauge 350
MCP61 High Definition Audio
300GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 pm 
Just blowing the dust out of a machine can make a significant difference. I try to do it at least once a year, and every six months if I can. After replacing a failing hard drive on my workstation box over the weekend and dusting the case out, the various temperatures are reading a solid 5C lower across the board.

Dust buildup is a triple threat that blocks airflow at entry and exit points to the case, makes the fans drawing air into and out of the case less efficient, and blocks heat transfer from components to the remaining air that does flow through.