View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 pm 
tjc wrote:
You maybe running into some kind of obnoxious copy protection on the CD. At one point it was relatively common for them to deliberately introduce errors which your average CD player was dumb enough to ignore, but which made naive computer programs choke and puke.

Have you tried different CDs? In my experience pop stuff (in the broadest term) is far more likely to include junk like that, while classical or jazz recordings are more likely to be clean.

Frankly I've never had much luck with the CD import on MythTV, and generally resort to something like grip, soundjuicer, ...

Yes, I have tried several music CDs with the same result. The one music CD that I was successful ripping once, has the same problem now.

The more I dig into this, I don't think it's an optical group permissions issue, because playing a DVD works great using this same /dev/sr0 device.

If for some reason the /dev/sr0 device was left open, or somehow locked when MythTV Ripper tries to open it, could this cause the MythTV Ripper to report the permission denied error?

I have been reading some of the ArchLinux forums. It seems I am not the only one that is having problems similar to this. Several seem to be looking at the buffer I/O errors on sr0 when a music CD is loaded. I get buffer I/O errors when I boot the system with a music CD installed or when I insert a music CD and close the tray. I wonder if there could be a problem in the kernel or a daemon keeping the device open or somehow locked?

Is my understanding correct that any program opening a music CD must open the /dev/sr0 device directly because it does not use a file system? Could the buffer I/O errors I am getting on sr0 be the result of the kernel or a daemon trying access the music CD assuming a file system? I get these buffer I/O errors after inserting the music CD before I try to rip it with MythTV.

Some of these log I/O error entries start with "end_request:". What is this? Is it a name of a module or routine? If so, could it be a key in troubleshooting this problem?

Some of the ArchLinux forums are pointing to things like hal or dbus. Looking at /etc/sv/, it appears that I have dbus running, but there is no entry for hal. Is dbus used by LinHES to determine the type of device for sr0? Could it be another key to troubleshooting this problem?

Could the kernel or a daemon (that knows when a disk is in the drive) that tries to do something with the music CD, get these buffer I/O errors as the result?

I do have the "MythTV Configuration->Setup-General->Media Monitor" panel "Monitor CD/DVD (and other removable devices)" disabled thinking that it may be part of this issue. :cry:

I am still wondering if there could be problem with the Restore LinHES after the fresh install of LinHES 6.03.00 using a Backup LinHES from the patched nVidia LinHES system I had before.

This Linux stuff is all quite new to me (it's a big learning curve) and it's taking me a long time trying to research and try to figure out what is going on. :-(

I sure appreciate the assistance... Thanks!

-----------------
LinHES 6.03.00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm 
UserBob wrote:
If for some reason the /dev/sr0 device was left open, or somehow locked when MythTV Ripper tries to open it, could this cause the MythTV Ripper to report the permission denied error?

Yes, but I would expect it to give a more accurate error message.

Try (as root)
Code:
lsof |grep '/dev/sr0'

to see if anything is using that device.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 am 
manicmike wrote:

Yes, but I would expect it to give a more accurate error message.

Try (as root)
Code:
lsof |grep '/dev/sr0'

to see if anything is using that device.

Mike

That's a handy command! I tried it and found that no process had the /dev/sr0 open. I guess that shoots that idea down. It looks like I have a long way to go about understanding these permissions. :-(

After reading about some of the Linux passwords/permissions stuff, it looks like it's may have history of bandaids and bubblegum enhancements using additional /etc configuration files. This makes it hard for a newbie to learn what configuration files to look at. I got my first hint about these enhancements when I used Webmin and got different results than what I thought I saw in some /etc configuration files. I found that Webmin was getting it's group info from /etc/gshadow rather than /etc/groups. It Looks like one must be very careful about editing some of these files if they don't know exactly what they are doing. This stuff increases my concern about doing the Restore LinHES from my previous patched LinHES distro.

There are several other questions in my previous append that I still need to get answered.

-----------------
LinHES 6.03.00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 am 
OK, I have made some progress on diagnosing this issue...
I tried running mythfrontend using "sudo mythfrontend" from a terminal session.

Bingo! It works! :o

So, It looks like I have some kind of permissions issue. How do I go about trying to figure out what it is? :? Could I be missing a group assigned to user mythtv?

Using Webmin 1.441, the current groups assigned to user mythtv are...
Code:
audio   - no password required
optical - pre-encrypted password: x
storage - pre-encrypted password: x
users   - no password required
video   - pre-encrypted password: x

ls /dev/sr0 returns...
Code:
brw-rw---- 1 root optical 11, 0 2010-09-07 09:00 /dev/sr0

Why does playing a DVD work and this does not?

-----------------
LinHES 6.03.00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 pm 
UserBob wrote:
Why does playing a DVD work and this does not?

Only one reason I can think of: Your symbolic link for the CDROM doesn't have the right permissions or it points to the wrong device. Make sure cd device is set to /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom points to /dev/sr0 and that "ls -l /dev/cdrom" says "lrwxrwxrwx" at the beginning.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 am 
manicmike wrote:
Only one reason I can think of: Your symbolic link for the CDROM doesn't have the right permissions or it points to the wrong device. Make sure cd device is set to /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom points to /dev/sr0 and that "ls -l /dev/cdrom" says "lrwxrwxrwx" at the beginning.

Mike

Mike,

I have checked the device permissions they are OK. It all works when I run mythfrontend from root! :?

What I have found is that there seems to be some corruption between /etc/groups and /etc/gshadow files. There are groups missing in the /etc/gshadow that exist in the /etc/groups . There is an x character in some of the password fields in the /etc/gshadow file that I don't understand. I can't seem to find any documentation on what an x means for the password field in the shadow files. :( I have umbuntu distro installed on a book pc. There is no x character in password fields of the /etc/shadow file like there is on my LinHES, they all have a * or ! character.

I'm about to hack the /etc/gshadow file to see what happens. If this does not work, I am going to reinstall LinHES 6.03.00 from scratch and look at these files, then restore just the DB that exists on my current LenHES.

-----------------
LinHES 6.03.00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:52 pm 
Hi Bob,

You seem to be struggling for information on what some commands and files mean, so I am assuming you don't know about man pages.

In an xterm, type "man gshadow". This page will tell you what you need to know. If a user is not listed in the optical line in gshadow, chances are that all you need to do is add it.
As obvious as this is, I still recommend you read the man page first, as it will answer your questions about what it's for and what the fields mean.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 pm 
UserBob wrote:
Is my understanding correct that any program opening a music CD must open the /dev/sr0 device directly because it does not use a file system? Could the buffer I/O errors I am getting on sr0 be the result of the kernel or a daemon trying access the music CD assuming a file system?

Well music CDs do have a file system of a sort, it's just a really primitive and simple and flat one. However you may be onto something here, there are a lot of OS and application features which try to auto mount media and this can cause conflicts. MythTV has something like this which can be controlled from the setup menus and at one point so did the standard KM desktop using gnome-volume-manager.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:36 am 
Did anyone find an answer to this? I'm now suffering the same problem exactly, and as with UserBob I also cannot find an answer. Can't rip as mythtv regardless of permissions and groups. In case you ask, I'm a very experienced unix/linux sysadmin but this has me stumped.

I've started mythfrontend with maximum debug, too: No dice. Only difference seems to be the permission denied and that mythmusic flatly refuses to read the cd device. Can't believe that no-one else has this problem: It basically renders mythmusic completely useless for getting CDs onto the media centre.

On a similar note: I also can't believe that mtd was removed from mythvideo!!! This prevents ripping any DVDs with mythtv!

How is it that a version of myth from a year ago is far more useful and feature-full than the newest? If I were into conspiracy theories, it would look a lot like somebody's deliberately taking away all the most useful features of mythtv. Speaking of which, has the commercial flagging (the only useful feature left) gotten less effective recently? It has on my system.

My box now can't rip any optical discs at all. Mplayer will at least play a CD, and will allow a full size DVD rip.

Not happy at all: May well go back to a previous version of LinHES that has a mythtv which works properly. If I'd wanted just a TV recorder I'd have bought a TiVO.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm 
I have not resolved my issue with this either. I have been waiting for the next release of LinHES and install the system from scratch, trying to preserve the DB. I have this feeling I screwed things up when I tried upgrading to LinHES 6.02.

In the meantime my HTPC is sitting collecting dust.

-----------------
LinHES 6.03.00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm 
UserBob wrote:
In the meantime my HTPC is sitting collecting dust.

Hi Bob,

Sorry to read that. You could still get everything working, but not with mythtv any more. As you said earlier, mplayer still works. You could modify the scripts so that the menu selection triggers mplayer instead, although it would be a lot easier just to install an earlier version.

Even though the install from scratch option is there and "might" work, you will still be left with a box that won't let you copy your own DVDs without using mplayer. Incidentally, the command for this is "mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile /myth/video/<filename>.vob".

And for anyone who is wondering, it's not LinHES that is the problem but mythtv. Some people are having the same issues using Ubuntu.

Mike

Go to page Previous  1, 2