View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Tuner Question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm 
I have now a combined Frontend/Backend and a seperate Frontend.
The problem I found is that they both start with the same tuner.
I know I can switch input to get another tuner, but this is not ideal.
I have 3 different tuners, 1 HDHomerun, 1 HVR2200, 1 old DVico (single).
Idealy I want the Combined FE/BE to start with the HVR2200 by default and the FE with one of the other ones by default.
Is this possible one way or the other?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 pm 
What I so do is to configure the tuner you want it to go to first.
Then define the rest of your tuners. In my experience the first tuner defined is the one it selects as the default.

So delete all you tuners, then define the one you want as the default first, then add the rest.

Hopefully that will work for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 pm 
I'm only speaking of experience with the R5 releases of KnpoppMyth/LINHES...

If all the tuners are on your FE/BE box, any remote "FE Only" system will go for tuner 1.

To force a particular system to use a specific tuner, you have to install that tuner IN that system. It will then become a slave backend. I don't think that's what you want to do, but MythTV works that way. If there's a local tuner, it selects that one first, otherwise it will go to the system wide database, and use the first available tuner.

I have a MBE with one tuner(#1), a SBE with two tuners (#2 and #3), and an FE with no tuners.

The MBE will always use the MBE tuner first (#1).
The SBE will use the first SBE tuner available (#2 or #3).
The FE will use the MBE tuner first (#1).

There is NO WAY to say that an FE uses a specific tuner. It just connects to the first available. If a tuner is recording something, it just moves down the database to the next available tuner card.

Now, as tscholl said...

IF you define your tuners correctly, you 'might' get the card you want, but there's no guarantee! ;)

What I did to try that...

The SBE tuners are the first two cards I defined (#1 and #2). Then add the MBE tuner last (#3). With this setup, the FE will access the SBE tuners, and only access the MBE tuner if BOTH SBE tuners are recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 pm 
I have found some more info about this on another forum and will post that tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm 
I got the following reply but have not been able to get this going.
Does anyone like to try this??

Need to prioritise cards/inputs for live TV

bjm's reply found in mythtv-users:
Note: Input preference has no impact on live tuner selection.
For live, by default it chooses an available card with the same hostname as the requesting frontend. If none, it chooses the lowest numbered cardid that is available. If none it shows a warning message. The default input for the chosen card is initially used. Pressing "Y" switches to the next higher available card and wraps after the highest number. If I have five card and I'm sitting at the host for card 4 while card 2 is in use, it will pick card 4. "Y" changes to 5. "Y" again goes to 1 and again goes to 3.
If the "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows" checkbox (found in Setup->TV Settings->General on the first page) is checked, it ignores hostnames and chooses the highest numbered card available. "Y" still counts up and wraps.
For recording, for the same showing with the same priority score, it chooses the lowest numbered cardinputid available for the sourceid of the channel. It there are two single input cards for one video source, the input on card 1 will be chosen unless there is a higher priority show already assigned then it will choose card 2. If the Input preference is higher for cardinputid 2, the showing for card 2 is considered first (priority +1) before the showing on card 1 (priority +0). Therefore the episode wins the spot on the preferred card 2 before the same showing on card 1 is ever considered.

The bit in bold up top seems to be the most relevant to this request. i.e. If you name the tuner with the name of the hostname that should get that tuner, then that is what should happen.

So if you have hostnames of:

frontend1
frontend2

and you call the tuners in the backend:

frontend1
frontend2

then those tuners will by default always go to the right frontends if they are not being used for recordings.

Cheers,

Arkay.