View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am 
snaproll wrote:
Two more questions.... does your GT210 have an spdif input from the motherboard, or is the sound signal getting into the card through the PCIe interface ?
They get the sound through the PCIe interface. It shows up as another sound card in the OS. However, the GT2xx cards need a newer version of ALSA than what is in LH 6.04 for the audio over HDMI to work. LH 7 has a newer version of ALSA that supports the GT2xx HDMI audio.

snaprole wrote:
All of the GT 2xx cards have fans, right ? No 'silent' heatsinks ? ...
There are a few 210's and 220's that are fanless. However the heatsink usually covers an adjacent PCI/PCIe slot on most mATX boards.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:16 am 
brfransen wrote:
snaproll wrote:
Two more questions.... does your GT210 have an spdif input from the motherboard, or is the sound signal getting into the card through the PCIe interface ?
They get the sound through the PCIe interface. It shows up as another sound card in the OS. However, the GT2xx cards need a newer version of ALSA than what is in LH 6.04 for the audio over HDMI to work. LH 7 has a newer version of ALSA that supports the GT2xx HDMI audio.

Thanks, Britney !! .... :lol:

While the 6.04 upgrades I've done so far are running smooth... So is the test 7.0.0.......0.1 .....
When that's ready for prime time, I'll put it on one of the production machines with a GT2xx card & see what happens ....

brfransen wrote:
snaproll wrote:
All of GT 2xx cards have fans, right ? No 'silent' heatsinks ? ...
There are a few 210's and 220's that are fanless. However the heatsink usually covers an adjacent PCI/PCIe slot on most mATX boards.

Britney

Thanks again... Losing a PCIe slot may not be the downer it used to be... I run all my tuner inputs from HDHRs these days ! (& am accumulating a stack of 'retired' tuner cards....) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm 
Here is the video card that I am using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133337

It has a fan but since my system is located in the basement below the TV I didn't worry about that. I was able to get it working in V6 but had to recompile the driver (detailed in
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21966&highlight=

and as you will see in the post, dad yelled at me for stepping outside of the Linhes packages. That said mine is currently working well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:15 pm 
Thank you for the hardware data point, and the pointer to the alsa driver post, that my search seems to have previously missed.

I have 6.04 running on a spare machine, & might just give that a whirl if I can find time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:30 pm 
snaproll wrote:
[greg@mythbox60 ~]$ lspci | egrep -i 'vga|audio'
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (IC H6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
0a:0c.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11 )

Well based on that the answer is "your video card doesn't support an audio feed." The other model may, due to the HDMI output, but that's pure guess work without some way to verify it.

My card doesn't need any other connections for the audio since the card itself is an audio output device and both streams are sent to it over the PCIe bus.

I've heard of other ones that need a jumper, but believe that's just to support analog audio.

Just to add another data point, this is the fanless video card I've got in my main workstation box. The card and heat sink is HUGE, but keeps the chips frosty. At the moment it's at ~10C over ambient after watching about an hour of streaming content. It supports audio over HDMI and DisplayPort and has yet to break a sweat even watching 1080i recordings from the MythTV server.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 pm 
Thanks for your data point tjc.

The card you list is 1 gb memory, needed for gaming, but overkill for HD ?

I generally considered a half gig sufficient (based on past experience with them...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 am 
I also have a GT210 and would love to know your audio settings to get digital audio via HDMI working throughout the system. Right now I have audio working for MythTV recordings, but other videos I try to play via MythVideo just result in static.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:31 pm 
@CV, are you saying that audio for recordings is coming through the hdmi but audio from videos is not? I was pretty sure that, at least in .23, they both were controlled by the same audio setting. That being the forth page of general setting under mythtv configuration.

In any case, when I set mine up (see the earlier post) I got audio through HDMI for both recordings and video but music and hulu and mythstream all didnt work. Turns out they output to alsa:default so you have to point that at the right device.

Check out my post here:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21979&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm 
Thanks, I used your asound.conf settings (after checking with aplay -l and using my card and device number), and it seems to be working better. Have to try a few other applications and codecs but all's good so far.

Thanks again.

Go to page Previous  1, 2