View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:05 am 
so my cable provider (Wide Open West, WOW) is going digital. I have two free DTA's and I plan on using one on my myth box until I can research and afford to upgrade to a digital tuner (they said they were keeping the channels open QAM) any suggestions on tuners are appreciated, I want one standard def and possibly one HD.

any way my question is a simple one I couldnt find in the wiki.... during install it does the ir blaster setup nice and easy through a script. How do I call that script in a already installed machine?

also do you have any suggestions for cheap ir blasters (preferably DIY)

1TB WD Green Hdd
Hauppauge PVR-350 (tv-out)
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime
16X memorex DVD drive

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 pm 
electrohacker wrote:
so my cable provider (Wide Open West, WOW) is going digital. I have two free DTA's and I plan on using one on my myth box until I can research and afford to upgrade to a digital tuner (they said they were keeping the channels open QAM)

Wouldn't assume that this will last forever....

electrohacker wrote:
any suggestions on tuners are appreciated, I want one standard def and possibly one HD.

The best gear always costs more but these are the best... You'll need the PRIME one (not shipping yet) if/when your cable provider decides to encrypt the signal.
http://www.silicondust.com/

electrohacker wrote:
also do you have any suggestions for cheap ir blasters (preferably DIY)

Ok, I'm going to make my last stmt look bad - here are great blasters that are very cheap
http://www.irblaster.info/

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 am 
poflynn wrote:
Wouldn't assume that this will last forever....

From what WOW! is saying right now nothing is going to change. Till they change their mind I am planning on using my HdHomerun units to capture all the digital content.
Quote:
What do I need to do if I have a TV with a compatible built-in digital tuner?
Television sets with compatible built-in digital tuners do not need to be connected to a Digital Adapter in order to continue enjoying WOW! Basic Cable service. However, if your TV has a built-in digital tuner, you will need to rescan your television each time WOW! Cable channels are reorganized, including after each digital channel conversion. For conversion dates in your area, click here.

Television sets that do not have built-in digital tuners will need to be connected to a Digital Adapter or other WOW! digital equipment in order to continue receiving WOW! Basic Cable service.

Can I still watch my local broadcast channels in HD without attaching any additional WOW! equipment?
If you have an HD television set with a compatible built-in digital tuner, you will be able to continue enjoying your local broadcast channels in HD without any additional WOW! equipment. If you do not have an HDTV set with a built-in digital tuner, you will need to lease a WOW! HD Receiver in order to receive HD channels, including your local broadcast channels.

The goal is to switch one unit (2 tuners) over this weekend to get things rolling as only the upper channels are changing right now. Will see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
so noone wants to help...

1TB WD Green Hdd
16X memorex DVD drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
Your sig shows your running 5.5. I don't have that installed anymore but if I recall you should be looking for something like 'lirc-reconfig.sh' or 'irblaster.sh'. I'm running a serial blaster/receiver from irblaster.info on the same serial port. If I recall I ran lirc-reconfig.sh to setup my remote and then it asked if I has a blaser on the same port. It just worked. I believe irblaser.sh is for when you have a serial blaser with some other type of receiver so I never played with it.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:41 pm 
goofee wrote:
Your sig shows your running 5.5. I don't have that installed anymore but if I recall you should be looking for something like 'lirc-reconfig.sh' or 'irblaster.sh'. I'm running a serial blaster/receiver from irblaster.info on the same serial port. If I recall I ran lirc-reconfig.sh to setup my remote and then it asked if I has a blaser on the same port. It just worked. I believe irblaser.sh is for when you have a serial blaser with some other type of receiver so I never played with it.

Hope that helps.

exactly what I needed thank you

1TB WD Green Hdd
16X memorex DVD drive