View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am 
I just tried to change my system type from "stand alone" to "master back end that also runs a front end". I have been staring at a dialogue box that is saying "transferring database settings" for the past 15 minutes. I started doing some searches and it sounds like this is a known issue and that others eventually reboot their system and find problems in their system settings. I am running LINHES 6.04 on this box. Questions:

1. Is there some way to bring this to closure in a way that does not mess up my database settings?

2. My bad - I didn't do a database backup first. I seem to recall that there is some process that automatically backs up the database periodically, but I don't recall what directory the backups are placed in. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks -- I'm trying to avoid having the spend the afternoon getting this working again...

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Admin
If it's still running you should be able to get past this by restarting mysql

The problem is it's trying to connect to mysql via ip address, but it can't because mysql isn't yet accepting connections on anything but localhost. Restarting it should fix that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:21 pm 
Jams, thank you for responding! I waited a while longer and then decided to try killing the "mythinstall" process, hoping that it would have a handler to pick up the signal and clean up. So far everything seems to be OK. Do let me know if you feel that I may have residual damage that I am simply not seeing yet.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
At the moment I can't think of any. If there is any it would be with the LinHES system settings.
So next time your in the service menu make sure that the values are what you want.

If your really paranoid, make a backup of /etc/systemconfig and disable all the modules in /etc/mythvantage.cfg before heading into the service menus.
When a module is disabled it will be completely skipped during systemconfig, which would allow the settings to be verified without risk of messing up the system.
-jm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 pm 
Jams, I checked the LINHES service menus and all my setting look good. Thanks for your help!