View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Airplay Audio Output
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 pm 
Is there a way to specify the output device for RAOP? I would like to be able to have the kids play music from their ipods to the living room stereo while someone else is watching a recording. Anyone know how to tell airplay/RAOP where to send the audio?

Post subject: Re: Airplay Audio Output
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm 
Can you describe slightly better what you are trying to acheive? I don't have an iThing, but my son does. I understood that if there are a number of airplay "receivers" in the house, the iThing will ask which one you want to output to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm 
this should help a little http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Aud ... t_Protocol
And this might help a little http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apples-air ... untulinux/

I also don't own any iCrap so I can be of no further help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 am 
You actually don't need Apple hardware to'make this work. The kids have Apple Ipods (bad parenting I guess) but I can use my Android phone to stream music. Anyway, I followed the wiki at mythtv and setup Airplay/Airtunes on the Mythtv FE. It works well but the music plays through the TV speakers.

I currently have my FE setup with audio over HDMI for recordings and I use the audio device from the mother board to output MythMusic to my Stereo. I can have MythMusic playing on the patio speakers while someone else is watching a recording.

When I try to do that (from either the ipod or my phone) with Airtunes however, the music stream is played through the TV speakers. What I want to do is continue to have the TV recordings play through the TV speaker while the Airtunes stream plays through the other audio device (i.e. the one connected to the stereo).

I was hoping there was a config file somewhere that told Airtunes what device to output to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am 
Just a poke in the dark here since I have no idea how you set up LinHES to output audio to two devices. It seems the HDMI audio out is set up as the default output and the motherboard is the exception. Is it possible to flip this? can you make the MoBo default and make everything else the exception? You would essentially have to change everything that plays back in your FE.
You said there was a Wiki page, is there a project associated with this feature? Maybe they would have to make an option for audio outputs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm 
Big boy stan wrote:
You actually don't need Apple hardware to'make this work. The kids have Apple Ipods (bad parenting I guess) but I can use my Android phone to stream music. Anyway, I followed the wiki at mythtv and setup Airplay/Airtunes on the Mythtv FE. It works well but the music plays through the TV speakers.

I currently have my FE setup with audio over HDMI for recordings and I use the audio device from the mother board to output MythMusic to my Stereo. I can have MythMusic playing on the patio speakers while someone else is watching a recording.

When I try to do that (from either the ipod or my phone) with Airtunes however, the music stream is played through the TV speakers. What I want to do is continue to have the TV recordings play through the TV speaker while the Airtunes stream plays through the other audio device (i.e. the one connected to the stereo).

I was hoping there was a config file somewhere that told Airtunes what device to output to.
OK I see what you are trying to do now. I suggest you ask on the main mythtv mailing list, the devs of this feature hang out there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
Posted this afternoon. I will post back here if I get it solved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm 
Got no replies on the Mythtv Mail bag. Looks like RAOP was completely rewritten for 0.26 so I will wait for the new Linhes version and see what changes that brings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:21 pm 
Why does it always seem like there's a better MythTV just around the corner I never seem to be able to relax. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 am 
Yup. Always a little better and a little worse. Probably says something about all of our personalities that we enjoythis so much. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
Right now I'm not enjoying it much at all. I spent 5 days trying to recover from a botched upgrade. SAF is very low right now. It seems I will be forever stuck at 6.04 since I can't get the schema to upgrade to .25 (1299 I think). Since all I find are people in the same boat as me and no one giving helpful advice anywhere on any MythTV forum except "roll back and restore from the working version and try try try again." Thankfully someone suggested VirtualBox and you can save snapshots of your machine so restoring to "previous known good condition" is easy to do
. Anywho I've hijacked your thread long enough.