View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm 
Folks,

I have been trying all afternoon to figure out how to configure my network to use an MTU of 4000 for Jumbo frames. However, nothing I have tried survives a reboot. There is a page on the Arch wiki that does a great job explaining how to do this, but the directions it gives for making the MTU setting survive restarts simply does not work:

Code:
To make the setting survive a reboot, place a line in /etc/rc.local:

ip link set eth0 mtu 4000

After doing some searching, it seems that the above would work for a static IP setup. I am using DHCP, though, which I would think is a common enough scenario that the wiki would also include a section on how to set that up as well. At least the Arch wiki should state that the directions do not work for DHCP.

I posted this question on the Arch linux forum, but when I told them I was using LinHES, the moderator told me that LinHES is not Arch (it is only Arch-based), so I was sent here to ask my question again.

So, do any other users of LinHES know how I can setup an MTU of 4000 with my DHCP network and have that setting permanently survive restarts?

Thanks for your help (in advance)...
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 pm 
Why not switch from dhcp to static? Then the /etc/rc.local method works just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
Say, are you the same "graysky" from the Arch forums? :)

Well, I was just thinking there should be a simple way in Arch to do this with DHCP. I got it to work just fine with my Ubuntu desktop machine. I was thinking surely Arch was capable of the same.

My router is setup for DHCP - I don't know much about setting up static IPs. I guess I could learn, but it seems a shame to have to totally re-configure my router and all my systems just because of my LinHES box.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 am 
Should be a simple tweak in your LH box. If memory serves me, there is a simple config script that you invoke in LH to select dhcp vs. static.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Admin
Look at the network section of the service menu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Admin
For reference LinHES networking setup is very different then what ArchLinux uses, so most arch stuff will not apply.

The reason it's different is because at the time ArchLinux networking config was not up to snuff for our needs. Because of that I chose to use etcnet as the subsystem instead of rc.conf or now netcfg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 am 
Thanks for that information about the networking setup being different from Arch. I would not have known that.

So, pardon my ignorance, but can I leave my router setup as DHCP and just configure my LinHES box to use static IP?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 am 
Yes, do not touch your config in the router. Config is on the LH box only.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Really if all you want is to set the MTU, just access the network service menu and type in the value in the box labeled MTU.
No need to change to static ip unless you want to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
@jams,

Wow! That was so easy! I had thought you were saying I could switch to static IP from the Network menu. I did not realize that there was an MTU setting that could be used with DHCP. Well, I entered 4000 in the MTU entry, clicked OK, and after a minute or so my system was reconfigured. I rebooted and the MTU setting was preserved. Still set to 4000.

Thank you for this simple setup! I will try to search through the LinHES menus first the next time I want to customize something.

Kudos and thanks again!
Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Admin
Glad it worked for you.
The service menus do a lot, and for most people there shouldn't be a need to tinker around with the underling system.

If you do decide to tinker with something the service menus cover,then you will want to edit /etc/mythvantange.cfg and disable that module. Otherwise your changes are likely to get overwritten at some point.