View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:13 am 
I'm trying to figure out how to reload mySQL.

Following a power outage at my friend's house, mySQL won't start and thus mythtv can't run.
details...http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22829

I did a check and fix of the mythconverg database and that seemed to go ok.
But mySQL still won't start.

After googleing the error messages, I'm seeing that when others have had this problem, they simply reload mySQL, reboot and all comes back to life.

How do I reload mySQL?

How-to advice appreciated.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: any mySQL experts?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:52 pm 
do you have a backup of the database? Get whatever backups you have off of the machine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:11 am 
mattbatt wrote:
do you have a backup of the database? Get whatever backups you have off of the machine.

Yes.

Do you know how to reload mySQL?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:45 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
Do you know how to reload mySQL?

By reload do you mean reinstall the application?

If so from root it should be just:
Code:
pacman -Sy mysql

In theory it should not affect any installed databases and simply reinstall the needed modules and programs.

If you mean you have to recreate your database then this is well described in the mythtv wiki.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am 
Hi.

pacman won't work in this case.

see details viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22829

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 am 
ok. Well to be fair I wasn't going around looking for what system you might be on. You are saying you are not on LinHES but actually on KnoppMyth 5.5?

In which case apt-get should be fine. You should be ok to use a mysql version that is of the same vintage (major version eg. 5.0). It does not have to be exactly the same minor version but should be the same or newer. This is a general statement and I have not looked at the change logs to be definitive.

I don't have a 5.5 system to try it on. But if you can find the ISO for 5.5 then you could grab your db and do a test run in say a virtual machine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm 
Correct, it's a Knoppmyth R5.5 machine.

Scroll to the bottom of the thread I referenced.
I did a test apt-get command (with the -s at the end for simulate mode) and I got a bunch of messages indicating that the repositories from the R5.5 days are no longer available.
So, at this point, I'm not sure how to the mySQL .deb files to re-install?

I theorize that I might be able to extract them from the big KNOPPIX file on the R5.5 install CD?
Cecil (Cesman) must have done that every time he made a new Knoppmyth ISO file.
I've been looking for a how-to on exploding the KNOPPIX file.

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm 
I would go to the debian releases with a mysql that matches. That's where Knoppmyth got its packages from but I don't recall exactly what stream was used for 5.5; I vaguely recall it may have been sid or the release just before it. Beyond that I won't be much help as its been ages since I've used Debian or KM. Note this project had a massive server failure earlier this summer and a lot of stuff was lost hence why the 5.5 repo is missing. Not sure why the debian releases are missing but someone within that project might have the repos you need if you ask on their forums.

I would choose a mysql that is fairly close just to minimize any dependency issues. If you still have the KM5.5 iso then you could also pull the packages from that as you say. I don't recall if there was an upgrade option on the disk or a re-install to make it easier. It's just too long ago but as you say it may be worth exploring.

I would also seriously consider moving forward to a more recent LinHes release if your repair fails. It gets harder and harder to upgrade as time goes on.

Sorry I can't be more help as I'm rather time constrained at the moment or I would likely dig in to try find a more concrete solution for you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:50 pm 
Thanks for the good intensions.

I'm looking at this page on how to extract and remaster the KNOPPIX file (with focus on the extraction part).
http://wiki.openvz.org/Creating_OpenVZ_LiveCD

It says I need to download cloop to extract the KNOPPIX file to an .img file. Then it looks like I would be able to mount the .img file as a drive and see what's inside?
Code:
cloop_2.05-1/extract_compressed_fs cd-contents/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX > KNOPPIX.img
ls -lh KNOPPIX.img
-rw-rw-r--  1 vass vass 2.0G Apr 12 17:38 KNOPPIX.img

Does that look familiar to anyone?
I'm guessing this is what Cecil (Cesman) was doing during the Knoppmyth years?

Eric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 pm 
Use Virtualbox or vmware and just do an install on your main computer and extract whatever you need there. With virtual box you don't even need to burn a disc just point to the iso.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 am 
Yes, good idea. I'm using a VMware Workstation and have a Knoppmyth R5.5 virtual machine loaded.

I'm trying to download and make the cloop application and am getting errors...

Code:
wget http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/cloop/cloop_2.639-2.tar.gz
tar xzf cloop_2.639-2.tar.gz
cd cloop_2.639
make extract_compressed_fs
make: *** No rule to make target 'extract_compressed_fs'.  Stop.

The file 'extract_compressed_fs.c' is in the directory, so I'm not sure what's wrong??

Last edited by neutron68 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 am 
If I understand correctly, you want to look inside and/or extract from the iso. I've used unsquashfs to do this in the past and it is already installed in /sbin/unsquashfs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:20 pm 
mythedoff wrote:
If I understand correctly, you want to look inside and/or extract from the iso. I've used unsquashfs to do this in the past and it is already installed in /sbin/unsquashfs

No, the ISO file is not what this is about. I've already got the ISO file burned to a CD disc, so I can easily access the contents of the ISO file
I want to go one step deeper than the ISO file. It's the big file called KNOPPIX on the Knoppmyth R5.5 CD that I want to extract the contents of.

Since compiling from source didn't work, I just downloaded the .deb file for cloop and I installed it with
Code:
wget http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/cloop/cloop-utils_2.639-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i cloop-utils_2.639-2_i386.deb

Now, I'm not sure were to find where it got installed so I can run it... :(

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm 
Of note, I tried to restore an automatic backup of the mythconverg database file.
They get automatically backed up to /var/backups/

The catch-22 is that since mysql won't run, I can't use mysql to restore the backup!

I started by using gunzip to unzip the more recent, clean mythconverg.sql.gz file.
Then...
Code:
root@mythtv:/var/lib/mysql/mythconverg# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < /var/backups/mythconverg.sql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I'm trying, but I keep hitting brick walls...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:23 pm 
Sounds like you are making some progress. I know this sounds dumb, but one thing you need to check is how much free space you have on the drive.

You can check and make sure that the socket defined in the /etc/my.cnf is the same as the one that is specified in the
/Setup / General for database server.

I also remember in an earlier version that wrote the socket number to the /tmp directory. Somehow I changed the permissions on the /tmp dir and the file no longer had the correct permissions so couldn't get the port number and mysql wouldn't start.

Good luck.

Tim

Go to page 1, 2  Next