View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
I would like to use the http://www.playon.tv/content-channels service as a channel instead of cable \ satellite and watch it as a channel from my Mythbox.

Supported plateforms (clicke here) include DLNA compliant platforms. Not sure if LinHES fits this description. I'm not sure what the simplest way to use my Mythbox for this purpose.

Any constructive suggestions are appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm 
Short answer: install XBMC

Long answer: (how I re-invented the wheel getting that answer)
First a point of aggravation They use the word "magical" 3 times in their FAQ video the site talks down to it's users and their goal must be to hit up grandma with their overly friendly attitude. They are computers there is nothing magical about them.
Second doing a google search I found their FAQ
Quote:
How does PlayOn work?
PlayOn runs in the background on your networked PC. It uses standards called UPnP and DLNA to communicate with networked gaming consoles and TVs, working both as an Internet browser to access online media, and as a UPnP media server to serve videos to UPnP compliant devices. You can read more here.

So you have to leave your windows PC running (not a big deal) and it pokes holes in your router to let it'self through. Since you can access it over 3G with your phone it exposes your network to the World Wide Web and all the nasty hackers out there.
It must stream the videos in and transcode them for the network so you will need a beefy Windows PC to do the job.
I believe what you need is a DLNA player or client, looking online there are two Linux DLNA clients out there XBMC (somewhat supported by LinHES) and Enna http://enna.geexbox.org/ (no idea)
Since they don't stream HD you could also buy the $59 Roku and just use that. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:05 pm 
http://www.homemultimedianetwork.com/Gu ... g-UPnP.php
this should help with the setup of Playon on XBMC.

BTW this looks interesting I don't think I have enough horsepower to pull it off but I'm gonna try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm 
I was hoping to avoid adding another box, however, it seems that the Roku is the easiest and offers portability. Thanks.

Although I have XBMC on a Raspberry PI, I would still need PC to act as a server on my LAN for downloaded content.

I was hoping that I could avoid buying more hardware and add a package from the LH repository to stream it straight into the LH box.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 am 
Just for the record It works beautifully. My LinHES box doesn't have enough horsepower to stream all those flash web pages but using XBMC it was smooth as silk.
BTW XBMC installs as easy as
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy xbmc

that's it.
And I love the new XBMC I tried it a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. It sure is beautiful. I wish MythTV worked that smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 am 
hit a problem when you install playon on windows it makes a virtual sound card and it get set as the default audio device by Windows
Quote:
- Go to Start, Control Panel.

- Under Sound, Click "Manage Audio Devices".

- If you are having problems with sound, you should see a checkmark next to the speaker icon with "PlayOn Virtual Audio Driver" under it.

- To fix this, simply click on the the other speakers with your corresponding driver ("Realtek High Definition Audio" in my case) and click "Set Default" near the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 am 
@mattbatt: Nice! Thank for the excellent field report.