View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
Hi everyone.

I have run into a problem with my 7.4 build. I had another post about the problem but hit a road block and wanted to start a new post so I wont have so much information all over the place.

Here is what I have.
Remote
MCEUSB with the usb recever http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/File:Mce-hauppauge.jpg. It did have an ir blaste with it but I lost it as it didn't work with myth at the time . I was the remote with the Hauppauge pvr150
IR Blaster
I have this serial ir blaster http://www.irblaster.info/

Now I can get both the remote and the ir blaster working but not at the same time. If I do
Quote:
killall lircd
lircd -d /dev/lirc1

The ir blaster will work but my remote stops working. If I do
Quote:
killall lircd
lircd -d /dev/lirc0

The remote will work but the blaster wont.

In the old days you had to compile two lirc one would be lircd and the other would be lircd1 or something. This way you could run the remote and ir blaster. But in 7.4 I cant seem to figure out how to run both or if there is another way.

Last edited by ssbn on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am 
I forgot to ask is this type of setup even supported any more? Would a different remote ir blaster work or is it a very very small percentage of people using myth the way I am.

If it is not supported I will go back to my old version I think I was running 6.01 before the upgrade but I can't remember. What version did the change to arch happen? I tried 6.4 but it gives me the same problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 pm 
it looks like I was running 6.1 and it seem to be very similar to 6.4 and even 7.4. I must be missing something with the ir blaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 am 
Your location is not in your signature so I do not know where your are located but if you are in the US you can get another blaster cable to plug into the MCE receiver. Ebay has two blaster cables for $6.95 or one for $3.99 both with free shipping.

TVBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 am 
This seems like something you should be able to fix I'm just not smart enough to help you. Have you tried posting this same question on the other MythTV forums? http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/ http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/ http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301 I added the mythbuntu because this seems like a linux level problem and not a Arch level problem. I think the really smart guys in LinHES are getting R8 finalized so that's why they haven't responded.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 am 
TVBox wrote:
Your location is not in your signature so I do not know where your are located but if you are in the US you can get another blaster cable to plug into the MCE receiver. Ebay has two blaster cables for $6.95 or one for $3.99 both with free shipping.

TVBox

I live in Canada. So could the problem be the mce usb remote is fully supported now and my system is trying to us it for the blaster?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:43 am 
mattbatt wrote:
This seems like something you should be able to fix I'm just not smart enough to help you. Have you tried posting this same question on the other MythTV forums? http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/ http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/ http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301 I added the mythbuntu because this seems like a linux level problem and not a Arch level problem. I think the really smart guys in LinHES are getting R8 finalized so that's why they haven't responded.

Could you give me the links to the threads? It may give me a few hints. I have been reading a lot about lirc and 7.4 and what I understand is I shouldn't even need lirc for the remote as it or maybe sum remotes are now supported by the kernel. This sort of works for me in 7.4 because when I kill lirc I can still use the remote for up and down but no other buttons seem to work. I wonder if there is a confirmed remote that doesn't require lirc to run. Maybe on of the ones they shows as a keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am 
I meant ask the other groups since no one here seems to have an answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
I meant ask the other groups since no one here seems to have an answer.

Thanks I missed that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Admin
So I have done some testing and it is possible to get a mce receiver and serial blaster working together.
Granted my testing was on R8 but the remote system didn't change between r7.4 and R8.

So the main thing here is that the blaster MUST BE /dev/lirc0. If it's not /dev/lirc0 the transmitting will fail.

Try this:
1) boot system
2) sv stop remotes
3) rmmod lirc_serial
4) unplug the mce receiver
5) rm /dev/lirc*
6) sv start remotes (this will load lirc_serial), check that /dev/lirc0 is present. If it's present then proceed otherwise try modprobe lirc_serial and continue
7) make sure blasting works
7) sv stop remotes
8) plug in mce receiver
9) sv start remotes
10) test and hopefully it all works.

At the moment I don't have a way to do this automated fashion, udevs helpfulness is getting in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:33 am 
jams wrote:
So I have done some testing and it is possible to get a mce receiver and serial blaster working together.
Granted my testing was on R8 but the remote system didn't change between r7.4 and R8.

So the main thing here is that the blaster MUST BE /dev/lirc0. If it's not /dev/lirc0 the transmitting will fail.

Try this:
1) boot system
2) sv stop remotes
3) rmmod lirc_serial
5) rm /dev/lirc*
6) sv start remotes (this will load lirc_serial), check that /dev/lirc0 is present. If it's present then proceed otherwise try modprobe lirc_serial and continue
7) sv stop remotes
8) plug in mce receiver
9) sv start remotes

At the moment I don't have a way to do this automated fashion, udevs helpfulness is getting in the way.

I will try as soon as I am home thanks for figuring this out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm 
jams wrote:

Try this:
1) boot system
2) sv stop remotes
3) rmmod lirc_serial
5) rm /dev/lirc*
7) sv stop remotes
8) plug in mce receiver
9) sv start remotes

It worked thanks for the help. It didn't last a reboot but I bet someone will pop in to help out with that problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin
ssbn,
This should be resolved in R8.
Took a little bit of extra steps, but when it's defined the blaster device will always be the first int the chain.
-jm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 am 
Last update. I ordered the ir blaster that has the headphone jack and plugged it into the back of my mce usb remote receiver and it worked without needing any changes.