View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am 
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with using their LinHES backend server, in addition to being the MBE, also as a server to which you could backup files? I'd like to get a large HD, and backup a few windows computers to it, if possible, and wanted to see if anyone else has tried this, and what they're doing/using. I'm not a Linux expert by any means, but can figure out how to start samba (and probably set it to start at boot :-) ) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm 
I have been using mine as a data server for years. I have written scripts that run periodically throughout the day (cron jobs) that scan my networks for any of my Windows machines and pull data using rsync. I backup my 3 machines, my wife's, and all my children's. Has worked for a long time without a hitch...

I also have FTP running (Proftpd) with which I backup remote servers to my MBE machine through a VPN connection (could use standard FTP but I have a tunnel running anyway...). I have several terabytes of storge on my machine with my non-Myth data spread across multiple drives.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:37 pm 
I used to do it that way, just because my LinHES box was my biggest pool of disk storage, and I didn't want to buy more.

Now, I do almost the opposite. I have a very small SSD to run my linhes system and then I mount a folder on my NAS as /myth. That allows me to have a smaller, quieter, cooler running box in the viewing areas and all of my media better protected on a RAID. My boxes are all connected by a wired gigabit network. I have not noticed any performance hit by doing it this way. During prime time, it is common for us to be recording 3 HD channels and 1 or 2 SD channels, while watching on 1-3 frontends. I only got into trouble with my wife once, when a prolonged power outage took down my NAS, but not the LinHES box. Of course I was away. I talked her through powering up the NAS and then rebooting LinHES over the phone, and all was well.

To answer you question though, you have the full power of linux available to you and the underlying Arch linux has robust server capabilities available. You can use your box as you see fit. As you get further from a stock install, more work will be required to maintain your custom tweaks, when upgrading. Its really nice to have a choice though.

FE: Linhes 8.4, Mythbuntu, Linux Mint DE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm 
As long as we're sharing stories...

I used to use my MYTH box as my NAS. Now I have a separate NAS box (Zyxel NSA325) with 4TB's of storage. My LINHES box is a very small Atom/ION box with a 640GB laptop drive in it. All my recordings go to the local drive; all transcodes, music and other stuff is on the NAS. Gigabit networking throughout. I have 2 front ends (sometimes 3, but that's another story). It all works well and the setup in the family room is small and quiet.

It all works.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.