View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 am 
For a long time I've been using lossless transcoding to better manage my shows. There is a elegance about it the using the same container which make transcoding really fly. The files when transcoded are about 2/3 the size and the quality is excellent. Today lossless still works great for old shows but it's really not the solution for HD shows.

I tried transcoding HD but the quality really leaves something to be desired.

So recently I have tried Handbrake. The quality of H264 is excellent. For example it takes about 50 minutes to convert a 1/2 hour show to mpg4. The resulting show is 1.5GB with H.264 compression. Compared to 2.5GB stock mpg.

Is it possible to edit a show and then kick off handbrake thru the transcoding menu?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:45 pm 
I have done this.. Starting with a script that I found in /usr/LH/bin called myth2mkv. I had some problems with mkvtoolnix and getting handbrake-cli installed, but once installed it works well for taking movies that I've recorded OTA and transcoding them for saving.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 am 
I would like to try this out. Does the latest version of Linhes with 0.27.3 have all necessary files to use this transcoding as a user job? If not, can someone advise on what needs to be installed and how to do that please? I would like to transcode my HD PVR mpeg files to h.264 in a .mkv container for viewing on XBMC using an ATV2. Any tips or links to more reading appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott