View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R8 Tuner Selection issue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm 
I ran across a problem this evening that I couldn't get around. I was watching a cable channel with a HDHomerun (it's a prime but I'm using it without a cable card). The station I was watching went off the air. The only error I got was when I was taken back to the main menu and the got a message the there was an error opening the jump file. (not the exact words). but along those lines.

No mater what I did I could not change channels or tuners. It always went back to the failing tuner and channel. Could not get to any other menu to change channels or tuners.

I changed the data for the tuner in question in the database, stopped and restarted the back end but it still tuned to the failing channel. I looked for data for the last tuned channel in the database but couldn't find anything other then the info for the tuner.

The recovery was ugly.

I had to deleted all the HDHomerun tuners, before it finally went to an analog tuner on the box. Luckly I also have another HD tuner that use OTA as a source and was able to tune the failing channel on the OTA channel. It failed with a no lock (which I expected) and was able to tune other channels.

At that point I was able to re-add the HDHomerun tuners. Not sure if there is any other way around this problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Thats actually a problem with .25 in general, which i believe has been addressed in .26 but .26 broke live tv.
Live tv was recently fixed in .26 for most tuners but with .27 being somewhat close , LinHES may just skip .26

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:34 pm 
I have a Hdhomerun Dual and while recording OTA Indy 500 on ABC I lost the signal lock in the beginning of the race I could not get it to tune the channel so I started watching it on my TV and the race came in fine. That got me thinking so I unplugged the HDhomerun Dual and then was able to tune in the race. But the single was weak bouncing in and out so it was better just to watch it on the TV. Sometime after that I removed all the channels and rescanned ABC and it seems to be fine. Well see what happens with NBA Finals. I thought it was a problem with ABC but your post makes me think. My Hdhomerun Dual has been perfect for a long time and only this year has it been sorta finikey on R 7.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 pm 
Thanks for the update! I seem to remember from past experiences that the first tuner defined become the first tuner used to when you go to watch TV.

Since this fiasco I've configured my HD500 (my OTA tuner) as the first tuner defined, then my analog tuner and then configured the HDHomerun to be tuners 4 - 9. That should at least help recovery in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 am 
I believe that if you would have set you're falling recorder to record on any other channel and then stop the recording it would change channel for you. at the very least you will have tied up that bad tuner and you could go to live tv.

My HD-HR has gotten really flaky lately too. Channels that came in with no issues before student won't tune even though there are two other tuners that have no problem tuning the channel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am 
I tired to change channels but it would not accept any input. It would just sit there then return to the main screen and display the error message.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm 
will it record a scheduled show?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm 
Once I deleted all of the HDHomerun tuners it went to another tuner and I was back in business.

Then when I re-added the HDHomerun tuners I able to select a different station and things were back to normal. I just had to make sure that I didn't try to tune to the missing channel until I knew it was back on the air again.

It was just a very ugly way round about way to get to another tuner.